Chapter 11: A Common Enemy

There they were. I found them. 

The targets took cover behind the burning log beside the thick black smoke.  I had my sights trained on them and there would be no escape this time.

I reassembled the nano-particles in my rifle to form a shorter barrel for close quarters in case things were to get dicey

I reassembled the nano-particles in my rifle to form a shorter barrel for close quarters in case things were to get dicey. I fired another loud warning shot at the adjacent tree to keep the enemy pinned down and unable to retaliate. Poor Judy's ears were so big that her tiny bunny paws couldn't cover them entirely.

I kept my rifle aimed and ready to fire. There was quite a bit of smoke leftover from the vaporized tree, so I couldn't get a full visual of their identities...

The smoke began to clear. After the vapor of ashes was finally dispersed, I could see them better.

I observed any sudden movements...

But they wouldn't move.

Wait a minute...

...they were...

...wolves?

They were black-furred wolves...

...but not the wild ones found back at home.

Both were dressed in casual hiking clothes, had backpacking gear, and appeared to be a young couple. I was towering over them, my weapon still drawn, and my sights were trained right on their heads. I tried to get a good look at their eyes but noticed that they were not red. Their eyes were full of pure innocence and immense fear, for they thought I was going to take away their life. The black wolves were tightly embracing each other as if it were the final moments before death, which caused me to feel intertwined emotions of confusion and growing guilt.

This felt so odd to me because it was all reversed. I should've been the one fearing wolves, but instead, they were fearing me, and the tables have turned. Their tails were tightly tucked in, their ears were droopy, and their countenances were heavy with fright. I may not have had claws or fangs, but I had the firepower to finish them off with one trigger pull.

I looked around their immediate area and noticed a couple of things. First, there were tiny red fragments scattered along the ground, but it wasn't anyone's blood. After closer inspection, I realized they were only shattered red sunglasses they must've worn before I took a shot that grazed them. That explains why I confused them with Seraphim; they were all black and seemingly had red visors. No, just black fur and red sunglasses. Luckily for them, my shot didn't kill them and narrowly passed before their very eyes. Second, there was a burning picnic basket with scorched food items spilled all over the place, and the only thing I could make out was the crumbled muffins and crushed fruit covered in ash particles.

My helmet's HUD classified these wolves as a threat and warned me of imminent danger, but this world was different. These wolves didn't seem to have any desire to attack, but I attacked them first. Judy finally caught up from behind and placed her paws over her mouth in absolute fear over what I had just done.