chapter twenty-four

The Small Hedges

The Small Hedges

"Stop barking at the snakes." - Kiara Carrera

⚯͛

24th May 1994

On the morning Raven knew to be exactly a month before the third task - meaning she would find out what it was today - she never expected to come across a sobbing Hermione Granger on her way to the Great Hall for her morning cup of coffee, "Hermione?" She asked, quickly limping over towards the girl who sat against the edge of the castle wall, tears streaming down her rosy red cheeks, "What's wrong?"

The muggleborn girl looked up at her, her eyes bloodshot red. Raven fell beside her, taking the pile of letters out of the girl's arms, which she hastily thrust towards her.

'YOU ARE A WICKED GIRL. HARRY POTTER DESERVES BETTER. GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM MUGGLE'

The first one read.

'You deserved to be boiled in frog spawn....'

"Hermione...." Raven said, gasping as she read the letters, "Who sent these to you - they're awful!"

Hermione breath hitched, "It was because of Skeeters the last article, I suppose." She said, her fists clenched tightly in her robes, "One person put undiluted bubotuber pus in it."

Raven furrowed her eyebrows, assuming that was bad, "That's terrible - are you okay now?"

Hermione nodded, burying her red face in her Gryffindor robe sleeves, "I went to Madam Pomfrey, she sorted me out."

Although, her body shook as she stifled sobs. Raven leaned into her side, disregarding the pile of letters onto the dewy grass, "Don't worry about it Hermione - that Rita can't have a very interesting life if all she does it try to harm teenagers - neither can any of the Slytherins that have been making these things up."

Hermione sniffled, wiping the tears away from her eyes, "You're right."

The two girls sat in silence, Hermione's sniffles dying out, "I'm going to be completely honest with you though - I have no idea what a bumbo....tuber Is."

Hermione let out a laugh, causing Raven to smile slightly, "Bubotuber pus?" She asked the tears on her face drying.

Raven's lips parted, "I think....?" She said, "I was never any good at potions."

"....You mean Herbology?"

Raven scoffed, "Potions....Herbology, they're all the same."

Hermione giggled, "They're just not though - are they." Both girls allowed the laughter to consume them, stress from the previous situations fading from their minds - Hermione had never been so happy to have a girl friend she could talk to about her problems.