XII

When Amelia disappeared inside the crowd, she wasn't there to see the reaction of the people surrounding her. This she did see when she appeared underneath Stark Towers. She was always curious to know how muggles would react upon seeing magic. 

Amelia remembered her shock when she first saw magic. Back when she was still so young and clueless about the wizarding community. It was not much after she had gotten her Hogwarts letter. The eleven year old had been studying in her room when an owl had landed on her window, a letter resting in its beak. That alone had been magical to her. She had taken the letter and showed it to her parents.

They didn't believe her, thinking it had simply been her older brother who had played a trick on her. However, her parents had been proven wrong when a strange woman showed up on their doorstep. She introduced herself as Minerva Mcgonagall, the transfiguration teacher at Hogwarts. Amelia remembered her first encounter with magic very clearly. Her mother had refused to let the woman in and slammed the door into the stranger's face. Only for said stranger to appear into their living room with a teapot and some cups floating above her. Her father had fainted. Her mother had screamed. Her brother had a smile on his face, something she hadn't seen in a while. And something she would not see again after. And Amelia, well she had felt relieved. A weight had been lifted of her shoulders. She hadn't imagined the owl, she hadn't imagined the strange things that happened around her. Amelia had felt ready for a new adventure.

Amelia could only imagine that that was not what the people walking on the streets by Stark Towers were feeling. Most people were like her mom, as soon as the crack sounded and she appeared they began screaming. There were no people who passed out (thank Merlin for that) but there were a few runners. She had expected that as well, since her brother had done something similar.

Shaking her head back into focus, Amelia sprinted towards the entrance. The lobby of the building was empty, Stark had most likely warned the people inside to evacuate. She made her way to the elevator, that part of the building luckily hadn't been closed of yet. The five minute ride was tense. The AC/DC playing quietly in the elevator was not helping in calming her down. 

Loki was up there. She didn't know if someone else was there. Amelia wasn't ready, but is anyone ever ready? Ready to fight a god? Amelia hits the elevator with an eavesdropping spell, to see if she hears Loki on a certain level. It was risky to use magic on the modern device but she was desperate. She catches a conversation as she nears the top. 

"Would you like a drink?"

'Tony? At least I'm not alone. Guess he must have found out about Loki's plan. Maybe Loki isn't here yet.' She thinks.

"Stalling me won't change anything." 

'Nope that's definitely Loki," Amelia thinks, "Wait, did Tony just offer him a drink?' 

She hears footsteps from above, followed by the clinking of glass and Tony's voice. "No, no. Threatening. No drink? Are you sure? I'm having one." 

The elevator beeps as it reaches its destination. The doors slide open, catching the attention of the two men in the room. As soon as she steps out, the elevator creaks before dropping down at an immense speed. A small explosion sounds as it reaches the bottom.

'So that's what magic does to an elevator, huh?' Amelia thinks before facing the others in the room. 

"Are you offering, Stark? I'll take his drink. Merlin knows I need one after the day I just had." Her voice came out hoarser than she would of liked. She struts towards the bar, head held high. Amelia's uneven steps echo in the penthouse. The witch was sure that she looked like a train wreck. All the damage from her drop with Thor accompanied by multiple wounds from her battle with Bonneville. She flicks her wrist, the bar stool closest to her slides backwards from under the bar. A sharp gasp comes from behind her at the casual display of magic. She flops down onto the mini chair. Her hand reaches for the alcohol beverage that Tony poured.