Neither Of Us Are Leaving Alive

Song: All I Want by Kodaline

My head is throbbing. I can feel blood trickling down my face and just about everywhere else on my body. It's hard to breathe from where I was kicked in the ribs, repeatedly. My vision is blurry, and I can't make out where I am.

The room I'm in is freezing cold. Even more so since I'm only in my bra and underwear, and I'm soaking wet from being repeatedly sprayed with ice cold water. My eyes slowly focus, and they zero in on my dad, who is chained up on the other side of the room.

"Guess... guess your plan to trade me for your life didn't work... huh?" I cough, laughing humorously. He looks up at me, glaring. "Neither of us are leaving here alive."

"Shut up," he snaps, looking away from me. I laugh, shaking my head.

"You're just pissed because your plan failed. And because you don't get to kill me yourself. I can only hope they let me put the bullet in your skull." The words came out of my mouth, but it sounds foreign.

"I think that can be arranged," a voice with an Italian accent says, walking into the room. My head turns in that direction, and immediately starts throbbing again.

"Why do you need me if you have him?" I ask, watching him walk across the room.

"You see, you were not just a pawn to get your father here. But also to get your little boyfriend here," he tells me, and I can't help but laugh.

"Jake? Jake won't come after me. If he comes here, it's because he already wants you dead, not to save me."

"Somehow I doubt that," the man chuckles.

Suddenly, there's a gunshot that rings throughout the room. My head snaps up and I see multiple men in masks entering the room. But there's one thing that lets me know just who it is. The smell of peppermint. Jake.

The man who was talking to me drops dead in front of me, and I'm splattered in his blood. I let out an ear piercing scream, and one of the masked men looks up at me. His build and how he walks. That's Jake for sure. He walks up to me, and unties me from the chair. He takes the black hoodie he's wearing off and slips it over my head. Without a word, he motions to another guy to come to me, then walks away.

The other guy walks up to me, and he lifts me up into his arms, and starts to carry me out of the building. But not before I look over and see one of the guys pressing a gun to my dads forehead.

"Please!" my dad begs, but the guy pulls the trigger, and my dads body slumps to the floor, lifeless.

"Let's get you to a hospital," the man carrying me says, and I recognize it as Q.

"Quinton," I sob, wrapping my arms around his neck. He hugs me tight to him, carrying me out to a black suv.

"I know, Em. You're okay now," he whispers, carefully setting me in the back of the suv, and buckling my seatbelt. He gets into the passenger seat, and the driver takes off down the road.

"Is she okay?" another familiar voice whispers to Q.

"She needs to get to a hospital," Q tells Ollie. I close my eyes, unable to hold them open any longer. "Emma, stay awake."

"I...I can't. Just five minutes...," I trail off, everything going black.

——

Jake's POV

"Where is she?" I try to not let my voice show the need and concern show, but I have to know she's okay.

"She's at the hospital. She's pretty banged up, man," Ollie explains on the phone.

"Did they tell you what exactly they did to her?" I grit out, fighting myself on running to her side. I can't.

"She was hit over the head by an object multiple times, causing a severe concussion. She has bruised ribs, a broken ankle, her shoulder was dislocated, and her nose is broken." I close my eyes tightly, stopping myself from punching something or somebody. "She's unconscious, boss."

His words click in my mind. He's telling me I could stop by and see her without her knowing. "Thanks Ollie." We hang up, and I throw my phone across my office.

Do I go see her and risk her seeing me? Or do I stay away? A feeling in my gut tells me to go to her, just in case it's the last time I ever get the chance to see her. So, I grab my keys, and leave the house.

An hour later, I'm stepping into Emma's hospital room. Kira and Dani look up at me, shocked. Dani jumps up from her seat, her face red with anger. "Get out. Now."

"Danielle. Can I have a minute, please?" I ask, only looking at Emma's sleeping form.

"Why the hell should we let you?" Kira demands.

"This will be the last time I ever see her. I just needed to make sure she was okay."

"Why now? You've been gone this whole fucking time, and suddenly you're here? No," Dani snaps.

"I'm the one that fucking saved her. And I also put a bullet in her dads head," I growl out and they get quiet. "Leave the room. I'm not asking nicely anymore."

They both quickly leave, and I let out a sigh. I didn't want to be a dick about it. I sit next to Emma, and grab her hand. My mind flashes back to when she was in the hospital months ago from her dad when he got arrested. I remember how I walked in on her in just her underwear, looking at her bruises all over her beautiful body.

Tears well up in my eyes, and I know it's time to leave. I kiss her forehead gently, and give her hand a squeeze, then drop it, and leave the room without another look back.