5. Beacon

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

"The official story is that you stayed with us this entire time."

"Hmmh..."

"So if an outsider asks, just tell them you weren't able to study with the kids making so much noise all the time."

"...Sure."

"And then the moon fell off the sky and cows learned to fly."

"Yeah... Wait, what?" I turned to look at Natalie, who smirked at me.

"I'm guessing you didn't hear a word I said," she said, turning her attention back to the road. "I understand. I know you miss him already."

I took a deep breath and looked out the window. We were far away from Blue Moon territory, and every new mile between me and Jaden made me regret my decision to leave with Natalie even more.

"I can still feel his sadness," I muttered. "His Echo in me is miserable... I'm miserable..."

Natalie gave me a sympathetic look. "We will find ways to keep you two together, okay? I promise. We just need to get the big bosses off our backs..."

"I get it," I sighed. "I still get to see him at school..."

I'd been repeating that a lot that day, but the truth was that I felt cold and unsafe without him close to me. When the town came into our view, it looked more like a deathtrap instead of my home. My bravery was vanishing really fast, and even the Echo of Hades didn't give me comfort.

Hell, I was getting scared of it, too.

"I thought it would do me good to have more space," I told her. "That was a big, fat lie..."

She gave me a smile. "Everything will work out just fine, I promise."

"Sure," I murmured, taking another deep breath. "What were you trying to say about the official story?"

"You had to stay with me and Mike so you could catch up with your studies," she told me. "Kids wouldn't let you focus, you see."

"Right," I nodded.

Simple enough, but I sure hated this. I hated lying and keeping secrets. I now understood perfectly why the werewolves avoided humans. It was so much easier to stay away from those who had no idea about the supernatural world than to keep up with the lies. Natalie had already told me who I could trust in the group home, and who had no idea what was going on. I was already planning on avoiding the latter group by any means necessary.

I just wanted to go back...

Soon, we reached the group home. While Natalie parked the car, I stared at the yellow walls in silence, trying to stay optimistic. I was failing at it. No matter what I told myself, no matter how many times I'd see Jaden and the others, it wouldn't be enough. But I guess that feeling was normal who really liked his... boyfriend.