I Wish I Didn't Remember

Song: I Need You To Hate Me by JC Stewart

SIX MONTHS LATER

It's been six months since everything that happened with my dad and the Santini's. I ended up going to Florida with my mom and David after getting out of the hospital, and today is my first day back in New York. Dani and Kira went with me, and they stayed until college started up. I decided to push school off for a year.

I'm currently walking outside, downtown New York, searching for a bookstore I found online. My phone vibrates in my hand, and it's more notifications from Facebook and Instagram. I've gotten close to deleting both accounts so many times.

The past six months, I've gotten nonstop messages from the girls Jake has been hooking up with. Sending me shit like 'oh, is this your man?' and attaching a picture of him asleep in his bed, clearly naked under his bed sheets. I shut my phone off, and look up, only to run into someone.

"Oh, I'm so-," I cut myself off when the familiar scent hits my nose. Peppermint. I stop in my tracks, my eyes locking with once familiar ones, but are now cold.

"Jake," I whisper, not believing my eyes.

"Emma," his voice is as cold as his eyes, making me want to cry.

"Was it you?" The words fly out of my mouth. He just chuckles.

"Was what me, Emma?" His face is blank, as he takes a step towards me. He wants me to be scared of him, but I'm not.

"Did you kill my dad?"

"Does it matter?" He rolls his eyes, another step towards me. I look at him incredulously.

"Of course it fucking matters, Jake!" He looks shocked at the force behind my words.

"Why, Emma? Tell me why the hell it matters? That piece of shit is dead, deal with it," he snaps.

"You may be over me, you've made sure I fucking know that, but I still care if the love of my life killed my father." My words once again stun him momentarily.

"You don't love me anymore, Emma. And if you do, then you're stupid." His words sting.

"Then I guess I'm stupid. Goodbye, Jake," I whisper, then turn on my heel to leave. He grabs my wrist, stopping me. I whirl around, glaring at him. "Let. Me. Go."

"Come with me." He begins to drag me behind him, barely letting me keep up with him as he quickly walks to a black car parked on the road. He opens the passenger door for me, and looks at me expectantly.

"You expect me to get in?" I laugh humorously.

"Get in, Emma. Now." His tone is final, making me sigh. I get into the passenger seat, and he shuts the door, then gets in the drivers side, and drives away. I stare out the window, not uttering a word. "Emma."

I stay silent, my anger slowly taking over me. How could I be so stupid to still love him? And agree to get in the car with him? How fucking naive and idiotic could I be?

"Emma Loren Carter," his deep voice breaks me from my thoughts, and I finally look at him.

"What the hell do you want, Jake?" I grit out.