Chapter 30

Daniel's pov

I couldn't sleep while thinking about what layla told me. I can't just let her go like this.

Suddenly my phone rang. I saw it was the private investigator I had hired to investigate my father's accident. I picked it up.

'Sorry for calling you so late.' He said. 'It's alright. Did you find any information?' I asked him.

'Sir, what you suspected turned out to be true. Your dad's accident was not just a hit and run case. All the clues are pointing towards it being something planned.' He said.

'I have some pictures of the suspects. I will send them to you. This person is dangerous sir. I would advice you to keep your family safe.' He said and cut the call.

I looked at the pictures and my heart beat increased. It was hendrix. The biggest mafia in the city. Chris hendrix. Shit!

Our company had done everything in order to avoid getting involved with him. Why was he after dad?

I looked at all the pictures and it was him with his men around. I was scrolling through them when a particular picture caught my attention. The man beside him looked familiar. I kept looking at it and jogged my memory.

Finally I realised, it was layla's uncle! I buried my head in my hands. She was in serious danger this time.

I couldn't sleep the entire time. The next morning I got ready and knocked on her door.

'Daniel?' she asked me as she opened the door. 'Layla, I need to talk to you about something. It is something important.' I told her.

She let me in and we both sat on her couch. 'So what is it?' she asked me.

'I want you to be extremely calm as we talk about this. Okay.' I told her and she nodded. I told her everything. Regarding Chris hendrix and also showed her the pictures. She looked extremely shocked.

Her hands were shaking as she went ahead and took the photos from my hands and looked at them.

She looked scared and tears rolled down her eyes as she went ahead and kept looking at each photo.

'My uncle working with the mafia who attacked your father.' she whispered as she was trying to suppress her sobs.

'Layla listen....' I said. 'I have to go away.' she said. 'No.. Layla...' I tried to explain. 'No Daniel. I aldready lost my family, I can afford loosing uncle Robert. I am creating trouble for all of you. I have to... I need to go away.' she said.

'Stop talking like this layla. Please. None of this was your fault. Okay. This mafia and my father, our families had a few differences year back,even before I was born. About forty years back. I know vaguely about it. We have maintained our distance from each other then and layla your uncle is greedy.' I told her. She looked at me with tear filled eyes again and it broke my heart.

'Your uncle is greedy. Layla you have to be rational and realise that this puts you in danger as well. You are a heir to millions left behind by your family. He might be after that and so joined hands with the mafia. Layla, my father's accident and your incident with your uncle, it is hard to believe it is directly connected. Layla stay here. I..... My family will provide you with protection, they love you, you mean a lot to them. Please don't take any.... Any impulsive steps. If something happens to you I..... Mom and dad will lose their minds.' I said.

She nodded and started crying. I wrapped my arms around her in a comforting hug and she cried her heart out. Losing her parents, her grandmother and her uncle acting like this. She is so strong. It is okay to be vulnerable for once layla. I am here for you.

That's when my phone rang. I felt  irritated but I picked it up. 'Dude, please turn on your TV right now.'caleb said in an urgent tone.

'What happened?' Layla asked wiping her tears. She must have seen my expression. 'Layla, can you please switch on the TV and see  a news channel.' I asked her.

Layla immedietly turned her TV on. 'Are wedding bells going to be ringing for the richest bachelor on town? He has been spotted with a girl for a few months now. Who is the lucky lady?' the anchor said in a nasty dramatic voice.

Those f*ckers were displaying pictures of me and layla. The time when I had dropped her and picked her up. Us dancing together at the  party. Our pictured with my parents. What surprised me the most is that they had the pictures of when I had confessed my feelings to her and had my arms around her and when I had leaned in for a kiss right before she.... Before she pushed me away. There was even a picture of us hugging the day dad had got his surgery. How did they manage to get that? There must be some snake in my own circle.

'Reports say that she is an old family friend named layla Vanderbilt. Is she the lucky lady who stole his heart? Wedding bells are going to be soon? Sources have confirmed that the duo lives together as well'

I was shocked. I looked at layla who was standing there speechless as well with her mouth open.

My phone began ringing and I immedietly started getting texts from my parents to visit them immedietly.

What the hell just happened? What the hell was going to happen. Layla is going to hate me and loathe me even more now.