Your Heart Or Your Past

Hey everyone! Thank you all for reading, commenting, voting and just supporting this story all together. This and then the next chapter are going to be the last two chapters of this story. Please enjoy!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It was late in the morning when Maya woke up. Her eyes felt heavy and her whole body felt like crap. She had ended up missing curfew on campus last night, and just ended up staying with Riley back in her old room at the Matthews apartment. It was kind of like old times, except it wasn't until two in the morning that they finally went to bed.

Maya felt like she had pored her heart and soul out to Riley last night. Crying and talking about everything that they had gone through with their Freshman year of college. From Josh and Lucas, to Simon and their classes. Both of them getting things off their chest that neither of them even knew the other one had felt. It was good for them.

Maya rubbed her eyes and looked over to the other side of the bed. Riley was still out cold. She looked at the clock and noticed that it was nine in the morning. She could smell the pancakes that were being cooked in the kitchen.

Maya made her way out of the bedroom door and down the hall, smiling as she saw Topanga and Cory sitting at the table drinking their morning coffee and setting the pancakes down in the middle of the table.

"Good morning, Maya. Pancakes?" Topanga asked as she motioned to the table. Maya nodded her head as she came to the kitchen and sat down at the dining room table. Cory looked up from the morning newspaper and smiled at her.

"Rough night?" He asked her. Maya sighed as she thought about Josh, and how he would be getting on his plane soon, if he hadn't already.

"Are you guys not seeing Josh off at the airport?" Maya asked them. Cory and Topanga shared a look.

"We said our goodbyes to him last night after the party before he left. He requested that he see himself off." Topanga told her. Maya looked down at her plate of pancakes in front of her that Topanga had just sat down.

Maya thought back to the letter that Josh had given her. It was back in Riley's room still in the envelope. She couldn't bring herself to open it after they had parted ways. Part of her was too scared to open it, afraid of what was written in it. Maya could tell that Riley was practically jumping off the walls to find out what it said, but she didnt open it either, knowing that Maya wasn't ready yet.

Maya couldn't help but feel like her heart had broken into a million pieces after last night. Watching Josh leave that hallway and basically out of her life for good had been harder than she thought it would be. It seemed after months of pushing him away, all she wanted to do was turn back time and make things different.

She wasn't sure what she would change. Their age difference, how they met, maybe she would go back and warn her younger self not to get too attached. Part of her wanted to change everything to where they could be together, then there was a part of her that wished she could just avoid them ever meeting in the first place. Thinking that maybe it was better for them not to have fallen for each other at all, saving them both all this heartbreak.

"Mrs. Matthews?" Maya asked, without looking up from her plate of pancakes, not wanting to meet either of the two parent figures in her life gazes. "Was there ever a time in your life, where maybe even the slightest part of you regretted giving up Yale?"

There was silence that followed her question. But Maya knew that both adults were sharing a silent conversation with each other while her eyes were averted elsewhere.

"I'll let you take this one." Cory said to Topanga as he sat back in his chair and folded his hands together on the table, completely forgetting about his newspaper. Topanga leaned over and put her hand on Maya's, and only then did Maya let her head look up and her eyes meet Topanga's.