Chapter 22 - Suspicious

"That's his daughter?!" Darren replied, shocked by this new information and he stared even harder at the girl as he tried to spot the family resemblance. It was a bit difficult to do when she was facing away though. "But, wait, that's impossible. The girl earlier was definitely a ghost..."

"Maybe the other ghost just looked similar?" Jasper suggested.

Darren scratched his head and pondered that possibility, but it was hard to deny that it went beyond coincidence since her hair and clothes were exactly the same. 

"Maybe something happened to her this morning? Something shocking that would cause an out of body experience?" 

"Like she died for a moment?" Jasper seemed concerned at that possibility and pulled out his phone. "I'll ask, but I'm pretty sure Kenny would have told me if something like that happened."

The rogue waited patiently as Jasper dialed the Beta's number. The Alpha then walked a short distance away to have a private call with him. Darren's eyes kept flitting back to Holly as he constantly expected her to disappear like earlier. Moments later, Jasper returned shaking his head. "Nothing. He said everything was fine this morning."

Well that just confused Darren even more.

"Look," Jasper sighed. "It doesn't look like we have any other leads here, so lets try another spot, okay?"

Darren, not having any better ideas, shrugged in agreement and waved goodbye to the professors ghost. He then let the Alpha lead him to a nearby neighborhood where one of the other victims had disappeared. They parked the car along the sidewalk and started circling the block, hoping to spot another otherworldly witness.

Unfortunately they weren't as lucky as they were at the school and it seemed like this street was poltergeist free. Just as Darren was ready to suggest moving on, Jasper put a hand on his shoulder and he stared at a nearby house.

"What is it?" Darren asked.

The Alpha made his way towards the building. "Since were' already here, I figured I might as well cross one person off my list." He explained just before ringing the doorbell.

A moment later, a man answered the door. He was tall and slightly muscled with short brown hair and a five o'clock shadow. Darren recognized him as one of Jasper's many victims, and the man took a whole two seconds to recognize his visitors. "Jasper? What's up? Is something going on?"

Jasper glanced to the side as he thought of the right words to say. "Hey Roary. No, nothing's wrong, I just....Wanted to talk. Do you mind if we come in?"

Roary glanced behind the Alpha and spotted the rogue twiddling his thumbs awkwardly. He seemed hesitant, but let them in anyways and they were seated in a small dining room with a wooden table and chairs. "So uh...You sure there's nothing wrong?" The paranoid man asked as he took a seat himself so he could face the two.

Jasper chewed his lip for a moment before continuing. "Do you remember how we met?"

Roary's entire body appeared to stiffen at the mention of their first meeting. "Yeah, it's kind of hard to forget actually."

"Right." Jasper rubbed the back of his neck. "Well, first off, I wanted to apologize about...Well, everything. And also, if you still have issues with me, I want you to know I understand. It's been made clear recently that I was kind of a jerk and...Well ..I want to fix that."

Roary let the man's words sink in before he sighed. "You made me bow to you in front of my friends. You ordered me to hand over my coat so you could toss it into a puddle for some girl. You made me buy you and your friends lunches and even made me take the blame for setting the Chemistry lab on fire."