03

uncomfortable conversations

ATHENA WOULD ADMIT, SHE DIDN'T HANDLE ATTENTION WELL ANYMORE.
She didn't like when people stared, and even if she started a conversation she'd be the first one to end it because she didn't want anyone to linger long enough to ask questions. And no matter what, she had a question of her own that haunted her.

Can they see it?

She used to walk around life completely uncaring of what people thought of her, but now it's all she could do but simply ask someone if they could see this dead, dying thing she had become.

She tucked her dark hair behind her ear, standing in front of her open locker and looking at her reflection in the magnetic mirror stuck to the metal door. She looked at her sharp features, examining them closely.

The way her brown eyes flickered around, never staying in one place for too long like some sort of hummingbird. Her nose was upturned at the end but it wasn't as straight as it used to be because of the reparative surgeries she'd had. Her lips were a natural berry shade of pink, but the scar that curved along her cheekbone gave her a ghostly-looking smile all the time. The dimple in her chin made her look shadowy, and she always wondered if it was something she got from her mom.

She was lucky to get just the one extremely noticeable scar after the accident, but she'd rather have none, and she didn't care if it made her sound ungrateful. It was bumpy in some places, pink from its freshness as she'd only gotten surgery in June, and the most she'd comprehended from the doctor was that scarring was inevitable because he dug a shard of glass out of her face. But it shouldn't matter, right? Because she survived. That's what they always said to her. She survived, so it doesn't matter what she lost in the meantime.

Athena sighs, grabbing her locker and going to shut it. Her eyes dart behind her when she moves the locker and sees the blonde girl standing right behind her with her bitchy friend beside her, and she silently curses her timing. She's beginning to think her locker is cursed.

"Caroline. What did I do to earn this visit?"

Her tone is indifferent. Less harsh than when she was talking to Elena, and nicer than she'd be to Bonnie because they'd never really gotten along. They were two alphas, always trying to one-up the other, and she wasn't about to be overly nice to a girl she never had positive feelings for. And, it was just another reason to hate Elena, because she had bitchy Bonnie to back her up no matter how stupid she acted.

"I just wanted to say good morning."

Athena raised a sharply-arched eyebrow at her ex, disbelief coated on her features. "And?"

Caroline sighed. "And I wanted to ask about cheerleading again. I know you said you didn't want to be on the team, but it feels weird without you there. Even if you just come sit in a few practices maybe, I don't know–"