36: Monkey In The Middle

Never in a million years would I have thought I that I would ever miss my brothers this much. It has been over two months since Jason, Owen, Mateo and the twins had left for their business trip and they still haven't return.

As promised, Jason Facetime's me every day, but he always dodges the question when I ask him when are they returning. After sometime I just stop asking, even Noah and Xavier refuse to tell me.

But today is different, today is the first match of the season and I really wished they were here. They didn't even Facetime me, which to be honest upset me... a lot.

'They must be busy with something very important,' I reassure myself for the nth time today.

I was actually surprised when coach didn't kick me off the team, like he did with Chrissie when I missed practice. But according to Lindsey it had to be Xavier's doing and I couldn't agree more.

"Hey where are you lost?" Lindsey asks nudging my shoulder pulling me out of my reverie.

"Um...Nowhere," I mumble, not really paying any attention to her right now.

Lindsey has been trying to cheer me up the whole day today and now it's finally time to get on the field and being the responsible caption she is, she keeps checking in with all the team members to make sure everything is okay.

Lindsey was elected caption in the fourth week of practice and I couldn't be happier for her. I shake my head remembering her shock face when coach broke the news to us, it was comical.

"Astoria!" I jump startled at the sudden rise in volume. I shift my attention to Lindsey who had just yelled into my ears, and now is looking at me expectantly.

"Where are you lost?" She asks taking a seat next to me.

I blink my eyes a couple of times trying to compose myself, "I was just thinking..." I trail off.

"Thinking about what?" She enquires further with an inquisitive look.

"We should have a monkey as our mascot," I say, my eyes fixed on eagle guy who is our school mascot.

"Okay, I'll pretend like that's not completely random and utterly weird. Now tell me what's really bothering you," she says with a knowing look.

"I have no clue, I'm just down one moment and next I'm jumping with excitement," I say knowing what exactly is causing my mood swings.

"You're on your period, aren't you?" She asks and I just sigh and nod in agreement.

"It sucks," I whine laying my head on her shoulder.

"Tell me about it?" She agrees laying her head over mine.

I shift in my seat uncomfortably, my back-pain resurfacing making me whine all the more.

"Cramps?" She asks with concern in her eyes and a sympathetic look.

"Not cramps really, my back just starts aching from time to time making me uncomfortable," I explain laying completely fat on the bench trying to find a comfortable position.

"Do you want to play today, you can skip if it's too much," she offers knowing well that I can't take a painkiller if I want to play.

"Yeah I'll be fine, just need a minute," I say finally finding relief in my current position.

I stay in the same position for another ten minutes or so before it's time for the game to start. I force myself to get up, even though I'm than comfortable.

"You okay hon?" Lindsey enquires with worry and I just give her a sharp nod in confirmation.

"Okay team this is it, get out there and prove yourselves," coach tells us before clapping his hands in dismissal.