Chapter 31: you are...

Luka POV

---

When I'd awoke, Thorin was gone...or was it just a dream? I didn't know...

I felt grumpy and just....all over the show today. I guess it was showing as everyone, except an annoying Gandalf, stayed out of my way. My body ached and cramped and my joints kept clicking and popping every time I bent them slightly. Today was not a good day for me. I smelt them before we heard the howls, cursing ourselves for staying in one place for too long. It was time to run!

We bolted from camp, snatching up what we could and leaving the rest. They were still a few leagues away but we needed to put as much distance between us or I feared for the others lives. We ran, taking small breaks in between, until dark. In that time the pack had been nipping at our heels, constantly making us run for our lives. Sadly four feet were faster then two. We all barrelled down a steep rock hill before the pack saw us. It was only a matter of time before they caught our scent again, but we could rest for now. I sat down hard, my head swimming as if I'd just stood up to fast. I felt sick and hot and cold and...ARGH!

A quiet frustrated snarl tore from my lips as I put my head in my hands. It was getting worse, I knew it. Every time I tried to talk to Thorin he'd just turn his icy glare on me and I'd back off. I shuddered slightly as my muscles felt weak.

I stiffened as I heard howls, the pack wasn't far off.

"Bilbo, climb to the top of the hill, see if the orcs are close!" Gandalf whispered to Bilbo urgently, urging him on when he paled slightly. I groaned and rubbed my eyes as I felt a stabbing pain behind them.

"Y'alright lass?" Bofur asked standing by me and looking down at me. I grumbled incoherently and waved him off, standing back up slowly as Bilbo tumbled back down the hill, his eyes wide with panic.

'Oh no, had they seen him?' I glanced at the hill behind him, expecting to see a rabid warg come barreling over it to devour one of us. Surprisingly, and reassuringly, one did not.

"How close is the pack?" Thorin demanded instantly, as Bilbo came to a heaving stop beside him. I'd admit I was jealous that he treated Bilbo better then me...then again I had wronged him...somehow...

Bilbo had not.

" Too close, couple of leagues, no more. But that's not the worst of it." Bilbo gasped, making me stiffen once more. Not the worst of it? What more could be wrong?!

"Have the Orcs picked up our scent?" I asked, taking a step forward. I'd lead the orcs away earlier, in my other form, but they soon found us again.

" Not yet, but they will do. We have another problem." Bilbo replied making me groan. Where there more orcs?

" Did they see you? They saw you." Gandalf gasped, jumping to conclusions.

" No, that's not it. Bu-" Bilbo snapped, trying to speak again but was soon cut off.

"Good, what did I tell you? Quite as a mouse. Excellent burglar material." Gandalf chuckled in a 'told-you-so' manor, making me scoff. The dwarves all began talking at once making me wince at how loud they were. The orcs would hear us at this rate.

"Listen, ther-" Bilbo tried again but was ignored. I lost my temper and growled, making everyone turn around, expecting to see a warg bearing down on them. I nodded at Bilbo to continue, smiling slightly at he sent me a grateful look.

"T-thanks. Look, I'm trying to tell you there is something else out there." Bilbo exclaimed, throwing his hands up. It was them I became aware of a low dangerous growl, too deep and quiet to be a warg. Or were my ears failing me as my nose was.