Chapter 24

Morel's face light's up with a smile when he sees me. I want to feel happy. Relived. Something. The only thing I feel is strangely hollow. He's alive. Until this moment, I haven't let myself really, truly believe it. I limp across the throne room to meet him and he wraps his arms around me.

"Florette!" he cries, too loud.

I grab hold of his waist to steady myself as the smell of something sweet and chemical fills my nose. A hard spirit of some sort? Is he intoxicated? When I pull away I get a better look at his glassy eyes. Definitely intoxicated.

He presses a kiss to my forehead. "What took you so long? I sent for you months ago."

I resist the strange urge to wipe the kiss from my forehead that wars with the excitement to finally see Morel again. "Your note wasn't exactly clear," I reply.

Morel looks confused and he throws a questioning look at the queen.

She clasps her hands in front of her. "I fulfilled my side of our bargain. I sent for your apprentice, but you know the rules. For the safety of our realm, I can't just tell someone on the outside how to get to Alsaecia. They need to find their own way. I was even kind enough to send her a nudge and a hint since you can't seem to fulfill your side of the bargain without her."

Morel's head falls. "I understand."

What bargain? I have so many questions for Morel, but I don't dare ask them here with Destan, the Queen, and hundreds of Fae watching us. I try to meet his eyes again, but he fixes his gaze on the floor.

The Queen turns to Destan, "You definitely weren't part of Florette's invitation. What is your name?"

"Destan Bordelon, Your Majesty."

She takes Destan's chin between her fingers and turns his head as if she's admiring his features. "And what brings a handsome Demi-Fae such as yourself to my court?"

Destan doesn't flinch under the examination. "I come to seek an ally for the people of France. Your sister and her illegitimate court have infiltrated the French monarchy and if left unchecked, will bleed the country dry. The unrest in France is growing and it threatens life in France as we know it. It is our hope to bring Prince Oberon back to France with us so he can lead the National Guard and help us bring the National Assembly together. The Assembly alone should be enough to keep both Henriette and any rebellion in check."

"That is certainly a large request," the Queen says. "Far too complicated and serious for a ball, I think."

"Yes, Your Majesty," Destan replies with a nod of his head. "I understand."

The Queen examines Destan again, her eyes sliding languidly over his form. "It's a shame you're not dressed for a ball. I would very much like to see how you dance."

A pang of jealousy stabs sharply in my chest. The emotion catches me off guard, but I remember my training and hide it behind a mask of calm composure.

"Tomorrow night you'll dance with me before anyone else," the Queen says with a smirk that sets my teeth on edge.

"I would be honored," Destan replies.

"Tonight, my steward will show you to a room. There's not much available, but I'm sure she'll be able to find something for you if you don't mind more... humble accommodations."

"Anything will suit us for a night in your beautiful court, Your Majesty," Destan answers, his lips drawn into a smile as he locks eyes with the Queen.

She smiles right back then turns in a flurry of butterflies to return to the dais. The butterflies tailor her gown into a silhouette that hugs tight against her figure. The new gown drops daringly low on her back for Destan's benefit, I expect.