CHAPTER 74

Shashi closes his accounts dairy, in which he was making entries and doing calculations for the expanses regarding upcoming wedding. He rubs his eyes and look at clock; it was around midnight and realizes that Garima isn't in the room. He went out of bed, concerned and worried about his dutiful wife, she usually sleeps around 11pm then why she isn't here yet. He was so engrossed in his work that he hadn't notice before. He went to kitchen but found it empty, he went to living room calling her name but got no respond. He climbs the stairs, thinking that she might be with Payal and saw Khushi's room light on and went there. He sighed seeing his wife sitting on Khushi's bed and looking at something, which he guessed would be pictures of Khushi and he was right when he moved closer and found Garima caressing Khushi's childhood picture, in which she was hugging Payal and sticking her tongue out to camera.

"Garima", he called her softly when he heard a slight sniffing.

"Arey app, did you need something?", asked Garima as she hurriedly wiped her eyes.

Shashi sit on bed, opposite to her and held her hand, "You're missing Khushi hmm ... don't worry, she will be here tomorrow".

"I know, but after few days she will leave us forever", said Garima as few tears made their way on her cheek.

"Garima, wasn't you the one who usually tells me that daughters have to leave one day, so that they can go to their own real home and start new life and family and that we have to prepare ourselves for it", said Shashi.

"I know, but why so soon?", asked Garima and Shashi chuckled, "Soon? You are the one who was after my gurdiya to get married, looking out for proposals and now when it is happening ... you are complaining?".

"Don't make fun of me, I was doing which every mother does", said Garima little annoyed at her husband, "I thought if Khushi gets ready to marry then Payal will also agree, after what had happened with her", said Garima in sad tone.

"Don't worry Garima, just like our gurdiya had found someone, Payal bitya will also find someone", said Shashi remembering a young man with glasses, looking at Payal with fondness.

"I hope so", said Garima as she flip the page of album and another picture of Khushi came, "Time really flies, hain na Shashi ji, it seem just yesterday that you brought Khushi home".

"Hmm you're right, time does fly fast", said Shashi as he too got lost remembering the day when he saw Khushi for the first time.

His scooter had broken down in middle, so he was going back home on foot after leaving the scooter at his sweet shop. He took a short cut, to reach home fast as it was already past dinner time. He had turned into the lane which has a park on one side and shops on other. The shops were already closed down. He was passing them when he heard a scream and quickly went in that direction. He saw 2 men holding a small girl and pulling her towards the van. One man was holding the van door open, shouting at them to hurry. Shashi quickly went to them and asked them to let the girl go. He understood that these men were taking the girl forcefully or kidnapping her. The men threaten him to leave otherwise there will be consequences. But Shashi could not leave; the little girl was crying and requesting him to save her. He did not know what was it but the look in those innocent eyes, the fear and helplessness had move him to great extent. He quickly launches towards men and started fighting with them. Luckily they didn't had any weapon and Shashi started to punch them. He was much younger and energetic that time. He had gotten few punches and kicks in return but he managed to save the little girl. The men were on ground and before they could get back on their feet Shashi had drag the little girl towards his home.

The little girl was frighten and fighting to let go. It took Shashi sometime to make her understand that he is not a bad man and wants to save her. The little girl was exhausted and tired so she fainted. Shashi picked her up and went home.