Ch. 43 - Resolution

Song: ilusm by gnash
Words: 1836
Published: October 12th, 2020
Third Person POV

After a week, Rayna and Harley are now both back at the castle, this time with Serenity. Her room's in the alpha wing, just down the hall from theirs. Rayna had asked the little girl what her bedroom is, gave her answer to Harley, and he took it seriously.

They show Serenity her new room for the first time, and she let's out an excited squeal that gives them a headache. The walls were painted a mixture of pastel pink, yellow, and purple. Her bed was in the middle of one wall with white comforter, pillows, and a lace canopy overhead.

Fairy lights were scattered across the walls, giving it a cute yellow glow. On the opposite as the bed, there's a little bookshelf and table underneath a small second story—almost like the top half of a bunk bed—that can easily be changed to anything she wants. She also had her own connected bathroom and closet, along with a desk for when she gets older and a chest for all her toys.

They showed Serenity around the castle but focused on the Alpha Wing, especially where their room is if she ever needs them. She got to meet all of the other leaders along the way.

That night, Rayna woken up around midnight to Serenity standing at the side of her bed.

"I miss Mommy," Serenity whispers in a shaky voice, wiping away a tear. Rayna sits up and cups Serenity's face in her hands. She wipes away the tears and gives her a kiss on her forehead.

"I know. It'll be okay, Serenity," she tells her softly. Rayna throws the covers back and pats the bed next to her.

"You wanna sleep with me tonight?"

Serenity softly nods and crawls into bed with Rayna. Soon, the two were fast asleep, holding onto their sole connected to their family.

*~*~*~*

The next day, they begin settling into a new routine.

Rayna went to bed a bit earlier than usual and wakes up around 3:30 A.M. like usual and meets up with Freya to train before heading back to her bedroom a little after six. She naps like usual, but wakes up again at eight instead of ten. By now, Harley is working in his office.

Rayna washes off in the shower and gets ready for the day, getting dressed into a cute blue sweater and a pair of white jean shorts. She ties her hair back into a messy bun and walks to Serenity's room, waking her up. After a bit of resistance, Rayna and Serenity head into the kitchen for the first meal of the day.

"What's your favorite thing to have for breakfast?" Rayna asks, leaning against the kitchen counter. Serenity takes a seat at the kitchen table.

"Chocolate chip pancakes!" Serenity exclaims.

"Okay. Coming right up," Rayna replies with a smile and a small giggle.

In not too long, Rayna serves a plate of chocolate chip pancakes to Serenity. For some reason, Serenity doesn't seem excited anymore. She looks up at Rayna with big violet eyes and a questioning look. Rayna becomes worried.

"You- You didn't do the thing," Rayna says softly, looking down at her lap.

"What?" Rayna questions, confused.

"M- Mommy always-" Serenity stutters.

Soon, her lip is trembling and her eyes are becoming glossy. Rayna bends down next to her.

"Serenity? What's wrong?" she asks, concerned.

The little girl shakes her head as tears spill from her eyes, and she runs away towards her room. Rayna stands up once she hears the door slam, feeling confused and guilty. She quickly grabs her phone and calls Topher.