Aarushi Talwar & Hemraj Banjade - Part 1

Aarushi Talwar was a 13 year old student at the Delhi Public School. She was the daughter of dentists, Dr Rajesh Talwar and Dr. Nupur Talwar. The family lived in an apartment in Sector 25 of Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India. Rajesh and Nupur practised together at their clinic in Sector 27 of Noida. They also saw patients at the Fortis Hospital, where Rajesh headed the dental department. Rajesh also taught at the ITS dental college in Greater Noida. Anita and Praful Durrani, another dentist couple and close family friends, lived in the same city. The couple shared the Noida clinic with the Talwars: Rajesh and Anita worked at the clinic in the mornings, 9am-12pm, while Praful and Nupur worked there in the evenings, 5pm-7pm. The Durranis and the Talwars also shared a clinic in Hauz Khas area of Delhi.

Yam Prasad Banjade, better known as Hemraj, was the Talwar family's live in domestic help and cook. He belonged to Dharapani village in the Arghakhanchi district of Nepal. 

The murders on the night of 15th/16th May 2008 were preceded by the following events:

Before 9pm, 15th May

- On 15th May 2008, Nupur Talwar worked at her Hauz Khas clinic during 9am-1pm. She picked up Aarushi from school at 1:30pm and returned to their Jalvayu Vihar apartment. Nupur's sister in law Vandana Talwar joined them for lunch. Then Nupur and Vandana left, while Aarushi stayed at home. Nupur worked at the Fortis Hospital from 4:30pm to 7:00pm. She returned to the apartment around 7:30pm.

- Rajesh Talwar taught at the ITS Dental College from 8:45am to 3:30pm and then attended patients at the Hauz Khas clinic until 8:30pm.

9pm - 10pm

- Rajesh and his driver Umesh Sharma returned to Jalvayu Vihar around 9:30pm.

- Sharma dropped Rajesh in front of the apartment building and drove away to park the car at the house of Nupur's parents, which was a walking distance away. 

- Sharma returned to the Talwar residence around 9:40pm to hand over the car keys and Rajesh's bag to Hemraj, who had cooked the dinner for the family.

- Sharma saw Nupur and Aarushi near the dining table, and Rajesh coming out of his bedroom. He was the last known outside to see Aarushi and Hemraj alive.

10pm - 11pm

- According to the Talwars, after the dinner, they went to Aarushi's room, and gave her a Sony DSC-W130 digital camera. The camera had arrived earlier that day via courier and had been received by Hemraj. Rajesh originally planned to give it to Aarushi on her birthday, 24th May, but Nupur persuaded Rajesh to give it to Aarushi that day as an early birthday surprise. 

 - Aarushi clicked several photographs of herself and her parents, the last one at 10:10pm.

- Aarushi's parents retired to their room, while Aarushi remained in her room.

11pm - 12am

- According to the parents, around 11pm, Rajesh asked Nupur to switch on the internet router, which was in Aarushi's room. When Nupur came to Aarushi's room, she was reading Chetan Bhagat's The 3 Mistakes of My Life. Nupur switched on the router and returned to her own room.

- Around this time, Rajesh answered a call from the US on the landline phone. This indicates that the ringer was not silent.

- Rajesh then surfed some stock market and dentistry websites, and sent an email. He visited an email site at 11:41pm, which is when the desktop and the laptop show the last internet usage. 

After 12am, 16th May

- Around midnight, Aarushi's friend tried calling her on her mobile as well as the Talwar residence's landline. The calls were not answered. Around 12:30am, he sent her a SMS message; This message was not received by Aarushi's phone.