Chapter Eight

Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Date: November 10th, 1949
Name: Eleanor Hazel Bush
Age: twenty-three

"I just want to see how it is from your perspective, so this time make it informal," Professor Curtis explained to Eleanor once class ended.

He hadn't assigned any new extra work since she rewrote her Pride and Prejudice analysis, which she was grateful for, but now he wanted her to give an informal book review on Much Ado About Nothing.

Eleanor didn't feel like Professor Curtis was trying to overload her, she just felt like he wanted to see more out of her. She didn't mind.

"Will do," She answered and went to walk out of the room.

"What are you doing today?" Professor Curtis blurted the question before he could stop himself. He was just curious.

Eleanor stopped in her tracks and shrugged at his question. "Taking a nap and working on this new assignment," She said and he nodded. It was weird to be civil with Professor Curtis, but she'd rather be civil than having him hate her and overload her.

"Enjoy yourself," He said and Eleanor left.

-

"I missed you!" Eleanor exclaimed when she walked into the diner and saw Francesca.

Francesca smiled widely and waved at her. "I missed you too! You look beautiful, as usual." She complimented her and hugged her once she made it to the table.

Eleanor had to hold back a groan when she saw Michael sitting at the table.

"Hey, Jackie, Timmy, Michael," She said all at once and they all greeted her back. Though she was annoyed at Michael, she still had manners.

Jackie hugged Eleanor and handed her a milkshake. "I ordered ahead for you," She smiled and Eleanor sighed in delight at the delicious taste of vanilla ice cream.

"Thank you!" She gushed and took a few sips of the milkshake.

"Eleanor, you look pretty," Michael said trying to persuade Eleanor into talking to him.

She didn't respond. She just engaged in a conversation with Francesca.

"What's up here?" Jackie asked the question that everyone wanted an answer to.

Eleanor cut her eyes at Michael and pursed her lips. "At the costume party he told me that I would never find a sane man to marry me, and he called me a picaninny and cow." She explained summing it up without a care in the world. Michael was a jerk.

Francesca gasped and Timmy shook his head. "That's just wrong," He muttered and shook his head again.

Eleanor didn't feel like having the conversation revolve around her, so she asked Timmy about the woman he was seeing.

-

"-with an order of fries," Dale said completing his order.

He had just finished grading all of his student's assignments and now he was having dinner with the men from his church.

"What's been up with you?" Owen asked Dale once the waitress left.

Dale sipped his coke and answered. "Work, church, and work," He said plainly.

"We need to find you a dame, or at least somebody for your bed," Dirk commented.

Dale rolled his eyes and scanned the room. He did a double-take when he recognized Eleanor in the back with some other colored people.