Chapter 80

~The Benevolent~

Oris sighed.

It was likely that the physician had nothing to do the rebellion. Bren had expended all this effort and planted him by her side just to monitor her health. "Don't worry about my brother," she said gently. "Regardless of what happens, I will write to inform him that you're doing your best... Of course, that is if you truly do your best."

"Thank you, Mistress." He bowed again.

Oris waved her hand to dismiss him.

"Mistress, your sickness, it—"

She shot him a look that begged him to learn his place. "I am sure that with your care, I will recover swiftly but right now I have other matters to attend to. Come back later in the day."

"Yes," he agreed with a stiff voice then withdrew from the room.

"Mistress, what is wrong with you? What sickness?" Mayree asked without even waiting for him to be fully out of the door. She took her mistress by the hand, eyes brimming with worry.

"Where's Seline?" Oris asked back, lips drawn into a wry smile as her gaze drifted to the statue occupying space on a pedestal by the candelabras. She had no idea what had gone through Hermes' mind when he decided to gift it to her. The woman was a nun who had been elevated to high priestess then saint before being posthumously titled 'Nihuhid The Benevolent' and installed in temples as a sort of mortal god of kindness. The golden standard for humanity who embodied the virtues of chastity, charity and obedience, she was described as many as the model human being.

"Why didn't she come with you?" She heard herself say but hardly remembered parting her lips to utter the words.

Her gaze was still fixed on the jade that this world's first Emperor had carved in the likeness of another woman then handed over to her without a single explanation. It was the most expensive possession she had ever been gifted outside of the bribery she was normally used to receiving. It was beautiful, fragile and full of meanings.

And personally carved. A strange kind of warmth bubbled in chest, growing hotter with every minute she spent tracing its womanly curves with her gaze. By far, it was the most troubling of gifts, especially when she considered the complexity of the man who had gifted it but she couldn't help but feel stirred by it.

Was it meant to assure her that she would attain wealth and fame after she died? Or did it guarantee her chastity for the duration of her stay at the palace?

Was Hermes simply calling her virtuous and good-hearted by borrowing from the titles the common people had already given her—Angel Of Mercy; Our Guardian Lady? Or was he reminding her that death still touched the highly exalted?

Was he telling her that her cause was greater than herself and warning her to put it away before she got swept up by the waves and ended up being wrongfully honored as a god? Or was he faulting her for showing kindness in a palace of vipers?

It was also likely that she just overthinking things and this was just a random thing he had selected but Hermes wasn't one to lack motives.

What could it be?

"A decree was sent to each of our departments, summoning us to your side again, she should have been here." Mayree voice dragged her out of her thoughts. "Mistress, why did the Emperor gift you with so many things?"

So the rumor hasn't spread yet. She looked up and smiled, wondering how long it would take for the other women to begin to ingratiate themselves with her. "He must have enjoyed my company."