Sweet Dao

Chapter 48

Luo Meng
The Palace

'Getting over the season in which you grieve the loss of a person works in wonders. Someday you feel as if you are a person who can do it, who can win over your sadness and everything will be all right. Then the next day you are back to being sullen and hopeless, questioning whether there will be any hope at all.' These were the thoughts of Luo Meng before bumping onto a suspicious eunuch.

“Why are you wearing cotton stuffed shoes?” Luo Meng stopped the eunuch who wore shoes with a heel that was peculiar.

“It is because they are the most comfortable.”

Luo Meng frowned. These shoes were worn by spies or assassins because they quietened a person’s footsteps.

“What is your name, the department you work in and present to me your tag.”

“My name is…” The eunuch uncomfortably scratched his head. The behavior was suspicious.

From behind the man, a maid toppled onto the floor and screamed. She was not the first one. They normally all seemed to fall when Luo Meng was around.

“Aiya!” she exclaimed and jittered around touching her ankle.

The eunuch looked back and hurried over to help her, which had Luo Meng roll over his eyes. It did not surprise Luo Meng to see the maid slap the eunuch and bellow loudly because it was Luo Meng she wanted to come to her.

Luo Meng carried on toward Hougong to find his master. His Majesty was  there to see Grand Consort Shu. Earlier, he could not shadow the emperor to the place because he was sent on an errand.

Two maids passed him and whispered along as they threw gazes at him. They whispered some more and giggled to each other.

The next one to pass him shyly looked down and ran on. It was no longer as entertaining when maids acted that way as it did when he was a young man who had just come of age.

When he realised another maid was walking in his direction from far off, he planned to detour and take the quieter path behind the buildings. That was before it registered to him that the face was familiar and he could recognise her.

His steps faltered, thinking whether he should still take the detour and avoid her. It was the best for them to not see each other, that way they could get over each other easily. Forget the detour, he could not stray from the current path and childishly avoid her.

He nervously ran his hand through his bangs, all the way through his long hair. The morning sun felt hot all of a sudden making his mouth dry.

“Dao.” He called when it was evident she was going to pass him without noticing as her head was down.

She looked up at him, then sadly smiled just as she continued on. Dao walked slower than normal, her steps consisting of a slight limp to them. She appeared to be in pain.

“Did you hurt your leg?” He asked after her.

However, she ignored him and continued on. That piqued his curiosity that he leaped backward and took her wrist.

“What are you doing?” she lashed. “People will see us together!”

“What happened?”

Dao was unlike this, normally. Whenever she saw him, she smiled and gave him the love-dove eyes. She always made an effort to do something to have his attention and hopefully have him take her back.