Chapter 29: In-Terror-Gation

Oh boy...

They knew.

The ZIA was on to me.

She asked about the Bunnyburrow crater but I didn't want to speak of it.  Not one bit.  I had no words and all I could do was sit in mere silence and take one deep breath.  I was going to need it.

She patiently waited for me to answer while twirling her pen with her paw.  It was a neat trick but it wasn't helping me feel any better.

"Crater?"  I asked, pretending to be confused.  "What crater?"

She opened up her notebook and pulled out a photograph.  "This one."

She placed it on the table and I couldn't believe my eyes.  It was the familiar forestal area where my entire journey started in this strange world.  My mind flooded with flashbacks and images of when I first crash-landed from outer space.

  My mind flooded with flashbacks and images of when I first crash-landed from outer space

They actually found the crater.  It was clearly evident in the aerial image with the massive dirt mound displaced from the impact.   There was no hiding from this.  Surely, I was in big trouble.

"Wait a minute," a voice called from an intercom.  "What happened to his restraints?"

I looked to my right and the source came from the one-way mirror.  Turns out, we weren't alone and they must've had animals observing from the other side of the glass panel of the interrogation room.

"Security!  Restrain him!" a male voice barked.

The metal door slid open and two rhino guards with long taser rods poured into the room to detain me.  However, the young jackal stood up and held her paws out.

"Stop!" she ordered, causing the two rhino guards to freeze in place.  "I've got the situation under control!"

The rhino folded his arms.  "Director Pawts, you must understand that this creature is--"

"--I know what I signed up for," she interrupted. 

"But, we cannot allow--"

"--He's not going anywhere," she affirmed.  "I'll be fine."

Was she sure about that? I thought.  It sounded like she meant business.

The two rhinos looked at each other with hesitation but ultimately decided to obey the young jackal and leave the room.

Her bravery was admirable but I doubted the little animal's ability to keep an intergalactic soldier cooped up in this cramped room.  Either way, she seemingly knew what she was doing and I had no fiery intention of trying to escape again. 

"Just so you know..." she continued, taking a deep breath.  "I may be an intern...   but I know Zaekwondo so don't even think about messing with me.  Sound good?"