chapter one

o l i v i a

"Lift the perfume bottle a little higher." Click. Click. Click. "Turn your face an inch to the right and relax your shoulders," the photographer instructs. "Genevieve, can you move that stray hair off her face?" The stylist quickly rushes over to me and uses a comb to perfect my hair. Click. Click. Click.

Chaleur, a luxury perfume company based in New York City, asked me to participate in this month's campaign.

I still remember five-year-old me, stealing my older sister's lipstick and high heels, then pretending to walk the runway. Little me would be proud of the woman I have become.

I wish my parent's would feel the same. I still cringe at the memory of telling my parents I would be forgoing college, moving to NYC, and becoming a model. They practically disowned me.

Their reaction came as no surprise. They primed my three older sisters and I to follow in their footsteps, attend a prestigious Ivy League university, and become doctors. Despite making a name for myself in this big city, my parents still remain displeased with my life choices.

"Okay Olivia, we're all done for the day. Thank you for your time," the photographer wraps up the shoot. Finally!

I change out of my attire and gather my belongings. After saying my goodbyes, I exit the building. My personal driver Harrison awaits for me by the car. "Miss Windsor," he opens the door for me.

"Thank you, Harrison," I slide into the backseat.

When he's back in the driver's seat, he asks, "To your apartment?" I nod.

I retrieve my phone from my purse and see a thread of texts from my best friends Annalise Coleman and Hayden Campbell. They are also models signed with the same agency as me. Four years ago, when we were fresh faces to the industry, the three of us formed a tight friendship.

Anna: Bar tonight?

Hayden: I'm down. Our usual spot?

Anna: 8:30

Hayden: Ollie, you coming?

Olivia: SFTLR! I was in a shoot. Count me in.

Anna: Girl's night!

I shut off my phone and place it back into my purse just as Harrison pulls up to the curb in front of my apartment. "Thanks Harrison. Can you drive me to Urban New York later tonight?"

"Of course, Miss Windsor. I'll see you then," he waves goodbye.

Walking into the lobby, I see employees taking down the Christmas tree and the other winter decorations. The holiday season is over and everyone is back on the grind.

I open the door to my place, the familiar scent of lavender and mint welcoming me home. The light streams through my two bedroom, two bath apartment in Uptown NYC. The gorgeous view of Central Park is the star of the show.

I kick off my heels and hang my coat on the rack, then head straight to the bathroom for a much needed shower. My chocolate brown locks are crisp from the hairspray and my face feels oily from the makeup.

I blow dry my hair and apply minimal makeup. As much as I want to do a dramatic night-out look, I don't think my face can handle another round of products. I can't afford to get any unwanted friends—aka pimples—before my next shoot tomorrow.

I enter my walk-in closet and spend fifteen minutes choosing on an outfit. I finally decide on a champagne silk dress with a cowl neck and pair it with gold stilettos. The weather in New York is still relatively cold, so I throw on a chocolate brown coat then lock up my apartment.