n. one

A pair of friends looked at the girl in front of them.

"What the fuck, Sawyer," Sirius Black looked at the dark haired girl in front of him, that was all smiles very suddenly, and not at all as sickly as hours prior.

"You really shouldn't cuss in front of your daughter, Sirius," she grinned widely, while Remus Lupin stared at her, dumbfounded. He could recall that once upon a time the girl in front of him told him she wasn't like anybody else and that he waved her off.

His little girl.

"Amanda?" Remus managed. 

"Well, yeah," she shrugged. "We've been through this before like, five minutes. Maybe you had a stroke, because you were really eerily silent-" Her sentence was cut off by a tight hug. "Sirius?" she choked out.

"I'm sorry, Mandy," he whispered. "I never managed to protect you, and I never avanged you. I couldn't even save James and Lily--"

"Hey, chill," she patted his shoulder, but when he released the hug, she wrapped her arms around him again. Sirius could remember this was not his friend, she was too skinny and too much of his daughter, but this was also his friend, somehow. 

Wasn't it?

"Amanda, Sirius, could you... sit down for a moment?" Remus spoke again, cutting off the moment. Sirius stepped back and sat down next to Remus on his bed, and Amanda sat on the chair in front of them. "You're dead."

"True. So is Sawyer."

"No," Remus stopped her. "Sawyer is very much alive, you are dead. What are you doing in the body of my daughter? And Sawyer, if it's a prank I'm gonna kick you out."

"You told her that once before," she mused. "And she just replied with the very thing you told her not to say."

Remus sighed. "How do you know that?"

"Oh, I was with you most of Sawyer's life," the girl shrugged. "I was a cat, but I was very much present."

"You were Meeko?" Sirius snickered, and Remus glared at him. "Sorry. Why Meeko?" Sirius tried sounding a bit more serious about the situation, but he suddenly thought of Meeko fooling around in the Forbidden Forest-- arguing with werewolves. This was all Amanda. 

"Meeko was the sole being that was with me since childhood. You missed it, because I was a Ravenclaw and Meeko never left the dorms, but he was with me through my whole life."

"So... I don't understand," Remus confessed. "You were a cat? I--"

"A soul," the girl started, and her eyes, the green ones that were Amanda's, and those that were the color of Sawyer before she was haunted, the ones that made Remus think she was safe, they were replaced with the dull grey that reminded him of Sirius' when he thought of Azkaban. "Is not entirely yours. You are born with one perfect soul, but when you die... it's like a mismatched puzzle."

"A soul is like a puzzle?"

"A mismatched one," she nodded, "look, Arthur Weasley's soul- when he was born he had something of a whole. And you give a part of you to anyone you meet. Some give back, some don't. Arthur's soul was a rainbow when I led him away. All of the people he's ever loved and loved him back were in there, and..." she smiled gently. "And all of his good was there, and it was... It was heartbreaking. Because I could see the part of Molly that came with him.

"See, when you spend a lot of time with a anyone, you get attached. Your soul is attached. Sometimes, short whiles are enough too, but Meeko was with me ever since I was three or four. So when I died at twenty, and he had only one of the nine souls left, because that was how I got him-- a scared baby kitten who has already been through too much-- and I wanted something for my daughter more than a stillborn death,