˗ˋ 19

CHAPTER NINETEEN

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THEY DANCE

. . .

The days of December merged into one snowy blur, passing quickly since that one potions class. And soon enough, it was nearing Christmas time, the end of the term in sight.

In fact, it was only a few days away from the end of term. Despite it being those last few days, the Hogwarts Professors weren't relenting the amount of work they gave the sixth years. 

At the start of the week, the Yule Ball had been announced. Madame Maxime had pulled Elodie aside, informing her she needed to choose a specific date - as she would be entering, dancing and eating with them.

It was fair to say that she was struggling on who to choose. Of course, to her, it seemed only reasonable to take one of the twins - as she was closest with them. However, it felt wrong taking only one. It felt unfair, just to pick one. 

Choosing one of the twins was what ended up on her mind most days, and she was about to exit the Great Hall with them and head to their last proper lesson of the day, when a second year approached them, informing them that McGonagall had asked all of those attending the ball to go up to a classroom on the fifth floor. 

They trudged up the stairs, Elodie wondering what it was about. She hadn't directly told the twins that she needed to have a date for those specific things - they knew she would need a date, and she had begun to think that they were just going to go as a trio. 

They entered the classroom just the slightest bit late, Professor McGonagall already there, talking to the crowd of students sat in front of her. "Oh good, our second champion. I assume you have asked your date?" The woman said, upon seeing Elodie and the twins enter. 

Fred and George looked back at her, Fred for just a little bit longer, before walking off to where a long line of boys were sat. Slightly confused at their actions, Elodie watched them for a moment, befoore her gaze flickered back to McGonagall. "Not yet.." She trailed off. 

"Well I suggeest you find one, and fast." McGonagall said, Elodie nodding and rushing off to sit at the edge of the line of girls. "The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since it's inception." McGonagall started again. 

"On Christmas day night, we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for a night of well-mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because the Yule Ball, is first and foremost a dance." She continued. 

The girls smiled and nodded, whilst the boys seemed disgruntled by this news - for reasons that were pretty easier to figure out, something that Elodie found rather stupid, considering they had all seemed excited before finding this specific information out.

"Silence." McGonagall held up her hands as a few of those boy's complains became angry grumbles. "The house of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizarding world for nearly ten centuries, I will not have any of you in the course of a single evening besmirching that names by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons."

George whispered something to Fred, and a low rumble of a repeated phrase could be heard, Elodie glancing in their direction.

"To dance is to let the body breathe." McGonagall said, and Elodie focused back on the teacher. "Inside every girl, a secret swan slumbers, longing to burst forth and take flight." 

Across the room, Ron said something that caused a few boys around him to laugh. McGonagall focused in on this for a moment, before glancing over to the girls' side, then back to Ron. 

"Inside every boy, a lordly lion preparing to prance." McGonagall stared at Ron, who seemed rather fearful as her stare pierced him. "Mr Weasley, will you join me please." McGonagall walked over to the boy, who seemed less outspoken now. "Miss Beaumont, you too please."

Confused, Elodie rose to her feet, walking across the floor to where McGonagall was stood. "Madame Maxime informed us all that you were a magnificent dancer." The teacher said - and Elodie couldn't help but feel that this had more to do with her head teacher than anything else.

"Yes, everyone from Beauxbatons knows how to dance." Confused, Elodie only told McGonagall the truth, glancing over at Fred and George, who only gave her thumbs up in return.

"In that case, you wouldn't mind showing the class how it's done - I suspect in comparison, I'm more of an amateur than an expert." The final part was whispered rather quietly, a conspirital glint in McGonagall's eye, which put Elodie more at ease.

"Of course." Elodie nodded, before turning to Ron. "Sorry about this." She muttered quietly, before clearing her throat. "Your hand needs to be on my waist." Elodie informed Ron, who almost choked on his saliva. And he wasn't the only one - in the direction of the twins, someone didn't seem so happy about it. 

Ron did as he was asked, and Elodie placed a hand on his shoulder in return. "Five.. six.. seven.. eight." She began, counting the beats as her and Ron began to dance, a rather basic waltz. 

Elodie ended up instructing a group of the boys, easily being able to switch between the female and male steps. At one point, as she was teaching a girl named Eloise, Fred stepped over, taking her hands and swirling her around into a much faster-paced dance.

"Why didn't you say anything about the date thing?" He asked, and the smile on Elodie's face fell. This somehow conveyed the message to Fred, who nodding knowingly. "Just pick whoever you would rather go with - no need to worry. You know, you're friends with quite the men, could get us any date."

"Oh.." Elodie trailed off, then met Fred's eyes. "In that case, wouldn't it be easier for the both of you to decide between me? I just feel awful choosing just one of you." 

"I see." Fred nodded. "I'll have to get back to you on that." The music came to a stop, as did Fred and Elodie. 

"Hey Ellie." Fred said, just as she was about to drop her arms and walk away. Elodie glanced back at him, her breath catching as Fred placed a very careful finger under her chin, rasing it slightly so she was looking directly at him. 

A smirk played on his lips, and a swarm of butterflies appeared in Elodie's stomach, the girl conveniently forgetting how to breath. "I hope this can make your choice slightly easier."

Coincidentally, Elodie couldn't think of much else for the rest of the day.

✧