iv

[ f o u r ]

"Well get through this, it's going to be okay."

"Open your textbooks on page 173 please

"Open your textbooks on page 173 please." Professor Binns' droning voice cut through the eerie silence within the classroom. Currently, Christina was seated in the front row of the classroom beside Lily, on her left, and Remus, on her right.

"Oh Merlin." Remus whispered under his breath. As he flipped to the page, inked at the very top, in bold, italic font, read the words;

Pastletongue; the darkness within.

He snapped his gaze towards Christy, who seemed to have frozen in horror.

"The ability to actually speak Parseltongue — not just imitate it — is considered an attribute of a Dark Wizard, which is partly due to the fact that Salazar Slytherin posses this trait. Another notable Dark Wizard who was also a Parselmouth was Herpo the Foul.

Ministry officials specialising in the department of Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures have stated, 'Personally, I would be highly suspicious of anybody who could converse with snakes, as serpents are often used in the worst kinds of Dark Magic, and are historically associated with evildoers.'

Parslemouths have been labelled as untrustworthy, disloyal and the likes for centuries. It is frankly unheard of for a parslemouth to remain loyal the the light." Professor Binns read from the text book before continuing, "Please copy these three paragraphs down."

Sirius was positively shaking with rage by the end of it, there was absolutely no way he was copying this bigoted bullshit down. He looked over to James, they shared a brief glance that seemed to convey an entire conversation, before looking over to where Christy was sat.

Remus squeezed her hand reassuringly, he could feel her shaking beside him. Her breath quickened and became shallow and inconsistent. Her heart felt like it was about to beat right through her rib cage. Everything around her felt fuzzy and disconnected. Her fingers tingled, vaguely hearing voices, as if they were at the far end of a very, very long tunnel.

"Christy, it's okay, you're okay." Remus whispered, trying not to draw attention. "Christy, can you hear me? Christy it's Remus, listen to me, your alright okay? It's just a panic attack, you're going to be okay. Just breathe with me, in.... and out...... in..... and out...." he whispered in her ear, turning her head very gently to look her in the eyes. The icy, blue, orbs, that were usually full of love and laughter, looked cold and fearful, Shining with unshed tears.

Slowly but surely, she began to regain control of her breathing, but her hands were still shaking violently, and she couldn't stop silently sobbing.