Part 2-Chapter 2

I take back what I said earlier.
It was almost impossible to find Malkin. I had asked the people around for him and no one seemed to know who he was.

(Not ask per say, just saying his name and hoping that they understood what I meant.
I would have to learn their language to survive here.)

I sighed again ( I seem to be doing that a lot) and just kept walking.

I was basically walking aimlessly at this point.
I had to find Malkin before nightfall or who knows what would happen to me.

I saw a group of women chatting in front of what looked like a clothes shop and decided to try to ask of him again.

The women all looked confused until a girl who looked a few years older than me stepped out of the shop and asked in my language

"Why are you looking for my father?"

"Your father?"

"Yes I'm Mina Malio, daughter of Malkin Malio. What business do you have with my father?"

"Well from what my mum told me I'm a distant relative.
Your father is her cousin."

" I don't believe you. Where is your mother?"

"She's not here. I ran away from home. Look just take me to your father and he'll verify my story."

" Ok then. You look harmless anyway" She said mumbling the last part under her breath.

According to Mina, Her father's house was a ten minute walk so we decided not to use any form of transportation.

As we walked,she tried to make small talk before finally asking
"Why did you runaway from home?"

" I ran because my parents wanted to force me to get married to a man old enough to be my grandfather".

To my surprise, her expression barely changed. I was expecting a look of suprise from her since such traditions didn't take place here.

She just said,"You were selected for the Ayaya festival right?"

"Yes. How did you know? Have you been to Mhilia before?"

"I just took a guess. And I haven't been to Mhilia. I've just read a lot of books about our neighbouring towns and I've even started learning some languages. Aren't you surprised that I can speak your language?"

"Well, yes."

"It's one of the languages I'm learning. Look we are here. My father is probably not around so you'll have to wait for a while."

"Sure. What about your mom?" I asked warily after all her mom had been the reason for the separation between my mum and her dad.

" She passed away about two years ago"

"Oh! I'm so sorry"

"It's okay. She wasn't much of a mother anyways."

  With that she led me towards the kitchen to offer me some food.

Finally!!!. I'm starving.

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
I had just finished a bowl of rice and a very nice sauce when we heard the front door open.

Mina stood up from the stool she was sitting on and walked to the front door. I followed quietly behind her.

When she saw her father, she quickly walked towards him hugged him and collected his bag. He had still not seen me yet.

"Baba, how was your day?"
"It was fine,dear. I was finally able to get the contract I've been hoping for."
"That's great Baba. We have a visitor. She says she's the daughter of your cousin".

He turned towards me with a smile and I honestly couldn't imagine seeing him with any other expression. He was a bald old man with kind eyes that crinkled when he smiled.

"Have a seat". He said walking to the sitting room and taking a seat one of the chairs there before gesturing to another.

I sat and he continued "You say you are the daughter of my cousin".
"Yes sir."

"Which of my cousins?, I have a lot of them you know."

"Aldae. She said she lived with you for a while."

As soon as I said that he burst into tears. "A-Aldae. How is she? I haven't seen her in almost fifteen years. Is she okay? Is everything alright?Of course, something is wrong if not you'll not be here?"

Mina had to cut in
"Baba,stop panicking. Let her tell you the reason why she's here."

"You're right dear. What brings you  here?"

"My mum is fine and there's nothing wrong. I just ran away from home because I didn't want to get married and I could remember you from the stories she told me when I was younger and I came here in search of you."

"How old are you?"

"I'm twelve years old sir."

"And you were going to get married?" He said with a hint of anger in his tone.

Mina cut in again.
"Baba, you remember the festival I told you about where young girls are married off. Well, Amadea was supposed to be one of those girls."

Her father nodded in understanding and said "Was your mother in support of this?"
"Yes, she was. We were going through a rough patch and my parents thought my "husband" would liberate us from poverty once we got married."

"What?! I'm disappointed in Aldae. I thought she knew better. You made the right decision to come here but it was still a reckless and frankly stupid one. Anything could have happened to you. What if I was no longer residing in this town? What would you have done? Which reminds me ,how did you get here?" He said all in one breath.

" I met Mina on the road when I was asking for directions. She heard me and brought me here. I know my decision was reckless and hasty but I was ready to do anything to escape that 'marriage' "

"Ok then. Any child of Aldae is a child of mine. You can stay here for as long as you wish"

"Thank you so much"

"No problem. Mina take her to the guest room and help her settle in. Then come get some money from me so that you can buy some things for her. Because I'm guessing you ran away with a few things,right? He said directing the questions at the end to me.

"Yes sir."

"Then it's settled. You are going to live with us and continue school as soon as possible. If you need anything, anything at all don't hesitate to ask me"
He said before going to what I assume is his room.

Mina then took my hand and led me to my new room chattering excitedly about how fun it would be to have me around.

I did it. I ran away and I'm safe.