2.2 Direct Sunlight

Announcement!!:

I'm thinking of reorganizing the chapters of the book, mainly the flashbacks. I'll just be moving them around and reordering, so nothing will be added or deleted.

Please don't be too surprised next week if things don't look the same. I will still update the next new chapter, but it may just be in a weird order. Also read the announcement I will make on my profile, along with the updates, for more info!

***

Author's Note:

Additional quick message:

I know I've mentioned depression in previous chapters, and I apologize if it made you uncomfortable in any way. Please know that I am always here for you whenever you want a friend. Even the guys, Tsukishima for example, have to deal with trauma sometimes, (depends on how you define it, I guess). (It's been a stressful week for me, too. 😞)

You are loved, and I care about you! Please don't hesitate to send me a message or two when you feel down. Mental health is important, just like when the sports players are stuck in long, tiring rallies. Part of the reason why I update on Sundays is to congratulate everyone for getting through the week and to spread hope and motivation for the week to come. ☺️

I hope you have a great day/night, and just know that I'm happy to chat!

You are beautiful, wonderful, and good enough as you are! 💖

Okay, enjoy the chapter!!

***

After their rendezvous at Shiratorizawa that evening, the three of them returned to their school gymnasium for a meeting. There, Takeda-sensei announced that the training camp would most likely be next month. They had gotten consent from the school, so the rest was bits of paperwork from everyone.

However, the teacher then said something that instantly wiped the grins right off of their faces. He reminded the club about finals, which were also next month, and it froze the normally passionate Hinata solid. They wouldn't be able to go to Tokyo if they failed, because the school required extra tutoring on the weekend for students who didn't pass. Tanaka, Nishinoya, Kageyama, and Hinata were all at risk of getting under 40 points on their various tests.

Ennoshita apprehended the two second-year fugitives, and Coach Ukai turned down Hinata's request to teach him. Without the four of them numbskulls, Daichi knew that their volleyball team wouldn't function as smoothly. When the captain declared that they would all go to Tokyo, it was time for Ai to roll up her sleeves.

.

Hence, the study sessions commenced. Ai was a well-balanced, A and B student. She understood mathematics and held an interest in literature. Although her Japanese skills were lower than others, her English was close to native, and the only subjects that caught her off guard were Classical Japanese and advanced sciences like physics and calculus.

When she gave them her tests from the previous year for reference, Hinata, Kageyama, and Yamaguchi thanked her like a goddess. Tsukishima was mildly impressed by her scores. She had been ranked in the top twenty of her grade, mostly from her English score that had boosted her average.

Other than that, she helped the guys with chemistry, algebra, and history. She gave study tips and quizzed them on English vocabulary during practice. No one in the school came close to matching her fluency. Even the teachers depended on her to help the struggling students. She assisted the first, second, and third-years with English grammar.

"What does mourning mean?" Ai asked Kageyama one night as he and Hinata formed a three-way rally of receiving practice. Although it didn't apply as much to Kageyama, Hinata was the type who couldn't sit still at a desk, so she thought moving his body while learning would help his memorization. Ai had heard from Kuroko that Kagami had done something similar between Coach Riko's intense study sessions.