2.7 Moonrise (part one)

Author's Note:

Ok, a couple of little things before I start...

One, (not as important, but I'll add it here...) I know it's confusing, but Karasuno goes to a few training camps. Most of them are at Nekoma High in Tokyo Prefecture (Nerima City, I think), but the week-long one is at Shinzen High in Saitama Prefecture.

Two, you may have noticed from the title, but I decided to make multiple parts for this episode! Just so it doesn't get too long of a chapter, (and to buy myself more time, but shhh...🤫😅) Part 2 coming next week!

Thanks for reading!!

***

"Oh, man! Oh, man! Taking off in the middle of the night is pretty exciting!" Hinata had big, starry eyes as Tanaka laughed beside him.

"Oh, right. You guys were late last time," the wing spiker remembered.

Tsukishima made a usual, cool retort, and the teacher gathered their attention to begin explaining the details of the trip.

"Well, we're scheduled to arrive early in the morning once again. Ukai-kun and I will take turns driving."

"Sorry if I nod off." The coach yawned and apologized in advance.

"Counting on you, sir!" the captain led.

"Sir!" the others followed, but Takeda-sensei quickly became flustered.

"Ahh, it's the middle of the night, so not so loud," he told them.

Daichi, Asahi, and Ennoshita looked guilty and apologetic.

"Oh, sorry, habit," Daichi admitted.

The guys started to get on the bus and got ready to leave.

"Do you guys have everything? You should check your belongings once more," the teacher called to the students as they gathered their overnight bags.

Hinata and Kageyama haven't really talked to each other lately, Sugawara thought as the Greatest Decoy spoke to Yamaguchi. I wonder if they'll be okay.

Ai noticed the vice-captain watching the first-years with concern. "I wouldn't worry too much, Sugawara-senpai."

"Huh?" He turned to her. Was I thinking out loud? he asked himself.

She just smiled. "Communication isn't always verbal. They'll be fine once they start playing with each other again on the court." Ai looked reminiscent. "As long as volleyball is a team sport."

He stared at her in surprise for a moment and then smiled. "You're always right, you know? How'd you become such a mind-reader?"

"People-watching. Like the Phantom Sixth Player." She smiled back and went to stand with Ennoshita, who carried her club bags.

His lips turned up softly. "Want to sit together, Ai?"

"Sure-"

"Wait! I want to sit next to her!" Nishinoya interrupted. "This is the last time we have her to ourselves before she goes to Nekoma's team for a week!"