2.12 Match Begins

Reference:

Ohgi Minami High School:
Coach - Ninomiya Shintarō
#1 Towada Yoshiki (Captain) - 2 - WS / Outside Hitter
#2 Karamatsu Takumi - 2 - WS / Opposite Hitter
#4 Tazawa Yūki - 2 - WS / Outside Hitter
#5 Moritake Ayumu - 2 - MB
#7 Oyasu Sōma - 2 - MB
#11 Natsuse Ibuki - 1 - S
#12 Yokote Shun - 2 - Li
(#1 Akimiya Noboru - Former Captain)

Ohgi Minami High School: Coach - Ninomiya Shintarō #1 Towada Yoshiki (Captain) - 2 - WS / Outside Hitter #2 Karamatsu Takumi - 2 - WS / Opposite Hitter #4 Tazawa Yūki - 2 - WS / Outside Hitter #5 Moritake Ayumu - 2 - MB #7 Oyasu Sōma - 2 - MB #11 ...

***

August 11.
The day of the Japanese National High School Volleyball Championship Tournament, Spring High School Volleyball Championships.

The preliminary rounds of the Miyagi prefectural representative playoffs.

Today, they just needed to win two preliminary matches successfully to make the cut for October's prefectural qualifiers.

The first eight teams to make it past, along with eight other powerhouse teams that didn't have to play in the preliminaries, would all participate in October's qualifiers.
Additionally, since Karasuno had made it into the top sixteen during the Interhigh Preliminaries, they were seeded out and exempted from the first round.

Their first opponent of the tournament was Ohgi Minami High School.

In preparation for this day, the team had had more serve practice and continued the usual training menus. Hinata and Kageyama had even went to borrow Coach Ukai Senior's court to practice some more yesterday.

The gymnasium this time was different and smaller than the Sendai Gymnasium. It was Yachi's first official tournament, and she was nervous accordingly. But, the first-year had two senpais whom she could lean on for help.

This tournament would also be the last one for Kiyoko and the other third-years.

Ai had texted Akashi days prior, reporting her safe return to her home in Miyagi. Rakuzan's team had gone back to Kyoto since the summer basketball Interhigh had ended last week. Momoi had kept her up to date with the winnings, so Ai congratulated her boyfriend on his victories; just because he expected them as a regular part of his life didn't mean it was ordinary. His hard work deserved recognition and applause.

Akashi disclosed his relief and wished her luck for the tournament to nationals. Her boyfriend also didn't forget to remind her to be on guard, knowing many people from different schools would be there and have a chance to possibly flirt with her. Ai swore that she'd be fine, thinking back to their parting words in Saitama.

Rumors about Karasuno drifted around them. Ai was used to whispers from back in Teikō, but she listened out for them just in case. Their team had become famous for playing a full set with Aoba Johsai at the Interhigh prelims and actually almost beating them two months ago.

Hinata had already puked on the way there, but he felt the leftovers of being sick. Nausea transmitted to Asahi and Yamaguchi, but it was mostly from anxiety and the memory of the vomit.