Chapter 18 - "You look like you haven't slept at all."

Chin resting in her hand, Taylor contemplated the line of karate competition plaques and the empty spot as she waited for Clint. She had finally given in to her curiosity and researched the competitions and their dates. All the ones that Clint had participated in had dates that had already passed and he had been to none of them.

On the competition websites, there had been posted videos of previous years' events. Out of seven, three of them had featured Clint. Taylor watched enthralled with the way he moved. Most of the time it looked as if gravity didn't exist to him, his movements fluid and graceful. It couldn't be ignored that his whole heart was in it.

So Taylor stared at the evidence that said he had quit and tried to piece together the mystery. She was no further in understanding when the door opened. All curiosity was blown away as Clint rushed in.

Taylor stilled at seeing him. He wore his glasses, his hair was a tangled mess, his eyes were bloodshot, and she was only half certain he was wearing the same clothes as the previous day. There was an eager energy about him that contradicted the disheveled appearance.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

Clint blinked at her as if the question made no sense to him as he sat down beside her.

"Yeah, why?"

"You look like you haven't slept at all," she said.

"Oh, I haven't."

Before Taylor could ask why this was, Clint crossed his legs and pulled out his phone.

"I was up all night doing research. I have some follow up questions for you. First, what is the range you can teleport?"

Taylor stared at him like she had no idea who he was. The in-control, quiet person was nowhere to be seen, instead, she was facing a slightly manic scientist.

"Are you high?" she asked.

"What? No. Drugs impair your cognitive function and wreak havoc with your body. Now along with that other question, can you teleport with more than one person?"

Taylor blinked, still unable to wrap her head about this version of Clint. He glanced up from his phone.

"Taylor?" he asked as if she were the one that was acting strange.

"What is this? Why do you want to know all of this? And what do you mean you were up all night doing research? Research on what?"

At the barrage of questions, Clint eased back. Realizing he was still wearing his glasses, he tugged them off and slipped them into his pocket. With the action, the eagerness about him lessened. He ran a hand through his hair, some of his fingers getting caught in tangles.

"Look, I think I figured out how you got your ability and-"

"You what? You're not serious!"

Taylor had spent months trying to put together why she had gotten her power and after one conversation with her, Clint had somehow solved the big mystery. It didn't make sense. But Clint nodded to her exclamation.

"I did. It took hours...well all night to find the right line of inquiry, but I did. There's a scientist out there named Tanner Stark-"

"Like-"

"Yeah, distant cousin. Anyways he has been doing research on how EMFs affect the body-"

Taylor held up her hand, cutting him off. "You're going to have to dumb everything down for me."

"Right." Clint shifted, gathering his thoughts. "Okay, EMFs are electromagnetic frequencies. It's what electronics give off. Everything gives off these frequencies, TVs, microwaves, phones. But they all have different intensities. For instance, newer devices give off high frequencies. Are you following me?"