Miles and Miles Away

Scotty. That was the alpaca's name. It took me long enough to remember, but better late than never. He was all I had left. My scapegoat. My safety blanket. The one thing I had left that wouldn't judge me or push me into anything I was uncomfortable with.

Not to mention he was the last thing I had that Dream had given me.

The sun had long since risen. It was actually closer to setting by now. I was becoming more and more convinced that Bad and Sapnap would never return from Dream's house. They had been there since they had both woken up— which was both before me. Even though I had been looking forward to the day I'd finally get to breathe without someone asking me about Dream, now that the day had finally come, I didn't want it.

It just made me realize how lonely I really was. I had nothing left to do. Nothing to look forward to. I guess going back home next week was one thing, but even then that wasn't very exciting. I didn't really want to go back. I surprisingly never once felt homesick since coming here. From day one I thought I had found where I belonged. But I was wrong. It was all a false feeling all along.

When the door cracked open, the small white dog, from the other side of the couch, flew off the couch and barked from the top of her lungs. Bad immediately grabbed Lucy into his arms.

"Lucy Lou, it's just me!" He said in a high pitched voice. "It's okay, Lucy. Daddy's home." He brought the small dog closer to his chest as he rubbed her back.

"Yeah, you're not stuck with wittle hopeless Georgie anymore," Sapnap added.

And suddenly I wished I was alone again.

"I bet you're just hungry. George, have you fed her?" Bad scratched behind her ear as he looked to me.

"I didn't know how much to give her."

"Oh, well that's okay. Let's go, Lucy." He walked past me and into the kitchen. Sapnap took Lucy's place on the couch.

"How's Dream doing?" I asked, fidgeting around with Scotty.

"Fine, I guess." He shrugged.

"So he's not upset or anything?"

Sapnap hummed. "Can I ask you a question?"

I looked at him just to see if I could see what kind of question he'd ask. Based on looks alone, I didn't actually know whether I'd want to answer or not. He had the best poker face I had ever seen. "Fine."

"How do you feel about Dream?"

"No," I shook my head quickly. "I'm not answering that."

"Why not? It's a genuine question."

"Why does it matter?"

"Because Dream says you led him on. He says that you're the one who told him you liked him first—"

"I never said I did!" I said, my blood suddenly boiling. "I don't love him. I can't love him."

Sapnap leaned back. "I'm not trying to upset you, man. I'm asking a question— a very simple one at that."

"You're asking the very question I don't want to answer."

"Fine. Can I ask another question that's not that one?"

"No."

Bad entered back into the room and sat down on the floor in front of us. "I heard you guys from the kitchen. Sapnap, we agreed to not confront George about any of this yet."

"Why? I don't understand what happened," Sapnap said. "He misled my best friend— our best friend. Can't I get answers?"

"He might not be ready to answer any of them yet."