Chapter Seventy One

"It just makes me feel pathetic" Lee moaned, flopping down face-first on to the common room sofa, "how hard is it to disappear and reappear in a fucking hoop!"
"You're literally squeezing your whole body through space, of course it's going to be hard you idiot" I replied, walking in to the room in between the twins, "if it were easy we'd be allowed to do it earlier"
George giggled, sitting cross-legged on the middle of Lee's back, essentially pinning him to the spot, "It's all about practice, dear"
"Sod off you big lump!" He wheezed, wriggling pointlessly.
"You're looking awfully lonely there, Georgie" Fred laughed, joining his brother and sitting further up on Lee's back, now fully pinning him down.
"Emily! Help me!" Lee cried, arms waving around wildly.
I hummed, folding my arms and levelling him with a blank stare, "and what's in it for me?"

"I'll do anything!"
"Anything?"
"Anything!"
"Ooooh this is too good. Boys, off"
Whining, George slid off, Fred following with a laugh.
"Finally" Lee sighed, stumbling off the sofa and standing up, "I can breathe"
"But you're indebted to me, Jordan" I smirked, rubbing my hands together evilly, "And I'm going to use it when you least expect it"
The twins laughed as Lee's face dropped, "Now wait, I'm sure we can think of something-"
"Nope"
"Bugger"
I cackled, before walking away suddenly.
"Wait - Emily where are you going?" He called fearfully.
"Just off to write a letter, Lee. Don't you worry yourself just yet"
Ruffling Ron's hair as I walked past, I made my way up to my dormitory, grabbing my ink pot and quill alongside my good letter paper.
'Dear Sirius, you will not believe the week we've had here at Hogwarts-'

"Madam Pomfrey?"
"What do you want Granger? I've told you before, if Ms Bones needs more potion she has to come to me herself, I simply cannot give it to you-"
"That's not why I'm here, but thank you again for the reminder" I grimaced, shuffling awkwardly in the doorway to her office.
"Do stop twiddling your thumbs and come in, child" she watched as I came through the doorway, "Now, what is it that you want?"
"Well. I want to go in to healing after next year, and I was wondering if there's any kind of work experience or training I can do around here?"
Attention seemingly grabbed, Pomfrey looked up from her work, "You're asking me for... work experience?"
"Well, yes. I've been doing my own reading on the art of healing and studying hard for my NEWTS but I thought that with your help I could focus on more focused areas of magic" I explained, digging through my bag and producing a note from McGonagall, "I thought you might be suspicious so I went to my head of house and asked her to write this just confirming she knows that I'm asking"
"What exactly do you consider work experience to include"
"Oh, I'm sorry is that a muggle term? I guess it's like an... apprenticeship?"
"Ah, yes. You are aware that I'm unable to actually offer you a job or wage at the end of this experience, as you say"
"Yes Madam, I only ask that you could write me a letter of recommendation at the end, if I've done alright, to help me get a good position at St Mungos"
"Hmmm. You seem to have thought everything out" she sighed, slapping her lap as she stood up, "Right you can come and help me every weekend for a few hours, and then if you've done well enough you can assist me at the Third Task. Only after that, will I have a look at writings recommendation"
I stared at her for a few seconds, "Thank you"
"Now go away, come back at 3 on Saturday and I'll see what use I can make of you"
I grinned, walking back out of the infirmary with a spring in my step.

"Why are you looking so alive, Emily? I would've thought Potions would have taken the life out of you"
I smiled at Cedric, his arm around Cho, and skipped up to them.
"Well I've just made Madam Pomfrey let me study with her"
"You did? I never thought you'd get her to budge, well done" he laughed, "Cho and I were just talking about the next task"
"Do you know what it is yet?" I asked, "They're being very secretive with this one"
"No, but I'm sure he'll be fine with whatever it is" Cho smiled, resting her head lightly against his arm.
"Ahh, young love. You know, I normally find it sickening but you two are just cute, huh"
"Bugger off" Cedric snorted, swatting at me with his book-bag, "go bother someone else for a change"
"Yes, Mr Champion Sir" I snickered, bowing mockingly before making my way down the halls, Cho's giggle following me.