020. an alliance

( 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚'𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒖𝒍𝒕𝒔 ).
twenty.『 an alliance 』

RANKINGS WERE CREEPING AROUND THE CORNER, RUNNING AT HER AT FULL SPEED, AND YET THAT WAS NOT WHAT SHE WAS THINKING ABOUT

RANKINGS WERE CREEPING AROUND THE CORNER, RUNNING AT HER AT FULL SPEED, AND YET THAT WAS NOT WHAT SHE WAS THINKING ABOUT. No, all she could think about was the note Isaac had given her informing her she needed to go to the roof. She knew who H was, as he always signed his name that way. And part of her guessed what the topic of that nights conversation would be, the two victors of district twelve. Either as allies, or something else.

All she knew was she needed to be ready for whatever was to come.

She barely ate that night, most of the table sending her knowing glances, Isaac having already told her he had already talked with Haymitch, but wouldn't say about what. Estelle seemed oblivious to the whole thing, going on and on about how good the roasted pig was and how they needed to try it, but the victors rested in a solemn silence, despite this probably being one of the last full meals they ever had. Indie cracked her knuckles as one by one everyone else got up to leave, leaving her alone at the table. Except for Stephanie that was, who sat across from her, leaning back in her seat and staring across the table at Indie.

"You should probably go get some air." Stephanie said, trying to subtlety hint that it was time to leave with who knew how many ears were listening in. "You look rather pale and it's best to get some air before the rankings tomorrow. Get that aim going good."

Indie paused a second, as though waiting for something before nodding her head in agreement finally, acknowledging the fact that the mentor from district twelve would be waiting for her, as odd as it was. But in the last year everything had turned upside down, the world changing around them. It was a simply fact and Indie was sure that even if someone fought against it, after this no one would ever be the same. It was why the 75th annual Hunger Games was the way to was. To show that nothing had truly changed, but it also showed even the Capital recognized the change. As much as they wanted to say everything would be the exact same it wouldn't. And that was a fact. So perhaps meeting the mentor of the competition shouldn't be that surprising.

"Okay." Indie agreed, standing. "I'll be back soon."

Stephanie nodded, remaining sitting at the table and letting Indie walk to the elevator, steps echoing throughout the floor and ringing in her ears. The doors closed and Indie turned to face the opening, seeing Stephanie give a reassuring nod in her direction.

The elevator seemed to move slow, which was surprising seeing as how truly fast technology moved now. It was most likely just all in her head as she counted the floors as they passed, wondering how many of the victors knew that someone was using the elevator for this exact purpose. There had to be more, she could definitely see Johanna Manson joining whatever they were planning up on the rooftop. And Finnick. And anyone who wasn't one or two. Eight would've definitely joined whatever's going on from what she had heard about.