Chapter 17

Author's Note: Surprise, it's here! Since the last chapter was so short I wanted to get this one out early. I hope y'all enjoy it, cause it's probably my favorite chapter so far!

The first thing you're aware of is the pain.

Your head is throbbing and your throat is dry and scratchy. Your ribs feel like you've been run over by a truck.

The second thing you're aware of is a cramp in your hand. Someone is squeezing it so tightly your fingertips are numb.

You try to open your eyes but they resist and stay firmly closed. Your mouth refuses to open either. You panic briefly.

Why can't I move? Am I paralyzed? Am I dead?

You hear a beeping noise to your right and would have jumped out of your skin if you could, you know, move.

"Her heart rate is through the roof." Someone comments. "Is she having a nightmare?"

You focus all your energy on wiggling your fingers. It seems like hours pass but you finally manage to squeeze the hand holding yours.

"She squeezed my hand. Just now, I felt a squeeze."

Aaron. You recognize his voice instantly.

"Are you sure?" And Emily.

"Y/N, can you hear me? Squeeze again if you can hear my voice."

You manage a second squeeze.

"She did it again. Baby, are you awake?" You hear a crack in his voice.

Oh no, he's upset. Is he crying? Aaron, I'm okay. I have to open my eyes. I have to tell him I'm okay.

You try again, desperately willing your eyes to open. When they don't, you let out a frustrated grunt.

Fucking damn hell shit!

"Did you hear that? She's trying to talk! Y/N, we hear you. Can you hear us?"

Yes Emily you damn big mouth. You're yelling in my ear of course I hear you!

You're so tired. You fight against the sleepiness trying to overtake you again.

No no no I need to let Aaron know I'm okay.

You summon all your strength and focus on opening one eye.

Come on you dumb bitch, open just a little bit, damn it, come on, open, open-

Both eyelids lift and you wince as the light hits them. Ouch.

"Her eyes are open!" Emily screeches, and you flinch. "Her eyes are open!"

Your vision slowly clears and you see her and Hotch hovering over you. Your heart sinks when he comes into full focus. He looks exhausted and his eyes are red from crying.

"Baby, can you hear me?"

You blink.

"I'm gonna get the doctor." Emily tells him.

She sprints from the room and Aaron starts peppering your face with gentle kisses. "Thank God. I was so worried you weren't gonna wake up."

You try to speak once more. "Aaronnnn." You manage to croak.

His megawatt smile makes your heart flutter. "I'm here, baby. I'm not going anywhere."

"Spp...Spp-"

"Spencer's fine. Everyone's fine, just worried sick about you. I feel like I've been holding my breath the past five days and I can finally breathe again."