Chapter 11

"Do not ruin this for me."

"How on earth would I ruin this for you? It's just another ruler -

"She's not just some other ruler, you idiot! This is my aunt we're talking about. And slow down a bit, would you? This dress that Di put on has too much weight!"

"Queen Veronica is the co-ruler of Fraus, a country that has been neutral for the past four hundred years. We mustn't get our hopes up just yet. And stop complaining, Di just wants you look like the queen you have made yourself to be so that Veronica will be intimidated."

Francis and I talked over a plan of how to keep Fraus in the picture while we rushed towards the throne room where Veronica waited, pushing our fresh and heated argument aside to focus at the task at hand. You may think my aunt would do anything for me, but that woman takes a lot of convincing. I put meeting with her first as my top priority before I speak with Katarina.

"She wouldn't have brought an army of so great a size to Alendar without a reason," I put forth as the doors to the throne room up ahead were fast approaching, "it's obvious she wants something in return."

"But what on earth could she possibly want? She's a queen, I'm sure she has everything she needs," Francis replied with a side glance at me, making me nod a bit until I asked:

"But does she have everything she wants?"

Francis and I came to an abrupt stop before the massive double doors. He turned suddenly towards me, making him turn to him to ask what he was doing. Putting his hand forth, a sorry look was plastered upon his face.

"Truce?"

I gave him a weary look. Did he really mean it? I mean, it looks like he does. You know what, I'm not going to be a bitch about this.

"Truce," I answer, putting my hand in his, one bracing the other's. I looked up that the gallant man in front of me. Francis was handsome, dressed in a long-sleeved royal blue jacket with golden leaves embroidered. His stubble was still appealing, somehow making him look like a Greek god. A soft smile graced his face and soon mine before we turned towards the double doors and signaling the guards to push them open.

Our bonded hands pulled away as the doors opened. A woman dressed is a dark purple riding habit that had a bit of train, her dark brown hair up in a chignon, turned around. She hadn't changed much since I saw her at my coronation. But time and stress seem to have taken a toll on her, judging by some wrinkles forming when a smile reached her dark blue eyes as me and Francis strolled into the throne room.

"Queen Veronica," I greeted, giving a little curtsy while Francis gave a bow.

"Eleanor, I have told you again and again to call me Aunt Veronica, we are family after all," she said before pulling me into a hug. I hugged her back and pulled away after a few seconds.

"I do apologize that we could not meet at a better time and on better circumstances. Aunt Veronica, I'd like to introduce you to King Francis of Torva," I said, gesturing to my side at the regal man who flashed that smile of his.

"Queen Veronica," he said, taking her hand to place a kiss upon it. "It is an honor to be graced with your presence."

Aunt Veronica gave him a curt nod before clapping with her hands. "Let's get down to business, shall we?"

Francis and I nodded and we stood waiting for what she had to say.

"Eleanor, Francis. There are twenty thousand of my best warriors waiting for the command to come to take down Darien. Tell me, how do you know for sure that it is Darien who has a rebel fleet in the channel?"

"The man who stabbed me -"

"What," Aunt Veronica asked in shock. Oh, she wasn't informed.

"It's nothing, I'm fine, really I am. The man who stabbed me said to General McCormick, that, and I quote 'It is King Darien who is the rightful ruler.' But tell me this, Aunt Veronica. Why did you send us the troops," I asked, looking for a sign that she might seem to hesitate. And she did, her eyes no longer seeming intent but concern, but she quickly covered her mistake by giving us a smile.

"Why wouldn't I? Do you think I would want to wait to hear that Alendar was under attack and that I wasn't involved? This is my home -

"Was your home," I said sharply, making her taken aback by my interruption.

"You love Fraus so much, and there is nothing to be ashamed of that. Yet, a queen of a neutral nation would not lead an army to assist in an alliance, whether it included her own niece or not, without wanting something in return. Tell us, what is the prize you so desperately want in exchange for the army?"

Aunt Veronica let out a sudden laugh that shocked me a bit. It wasn't a hearty laugh, but a laugh that was almost menacing.

"My, my. You have improved, little duckling. Yes, you stand correct; I do want something. The Orb of Tantalus, if you please," she spilled, extending her hand with a smile on her face.

I looked at her in disbelief. The Orb? Is she insane?

"Are you mad? The Orb is the symbol of Alagorian rule. More the less, you know as well as I do of the legend that surrounds that Orb if it taken from Alendar."

"What legend," asked Francis as he looked from me to Aunt Veronica.

I gave the woman whom I called aunt a cold glare before answering Francis.

"The Origo says, 'If a soul dareth take the King's Orb from the cave of Mount Andett, then Alendar shall fall, for not money can be spend, nor armies summoned, to pay the unpayable debt.' Every Alagorian has believed in this that Edward III moved it from the cave to a safer spot."

Aunt Veronica gave me an impatient look. "So am I getting the Orb or not?"

"What you even use it for? The power that it once held is weak, and there is nothing to bring it back, so why bother?"

A dark smirk was on her lips as she said, "What if I told you that I had found a way to restore the Orb to its former glory?"

That's impossible. It takes - it takes dark magic to restore the Orb's power.

"My God, Aunt Veronica. What have you done?"

Did I just give you all a DOUBLE update?!?!?!?! Yes, I did!

Thank you so much for voting for this story, it means a lot! Keep voting and don't be shy about commenting!

Xoxo - Alexis