Part Thirty-One

Part Thirty-One

His first thought was Solire. The face, the hair, the markings on her skin... But that was what set them apart. Vyrina's burns were different than Solire's. The first he noticed was a thick one that wrapped around her neck like a rope. Solire didn't have that.

            Vyrina tilted her head to the side, observing him with black eyes deeper than an abyss. "Link." She greeted him simply.

            "Vyrina..." He whispered with a voice thinner than a stream of smoke.

            "Something's changed. The way you're looking at me. Are you afraid, Hero?" Her voice was coy, cool, condescending. She was toying with him.

            "What did Solire do to you?"

            "Solire? Oh, she's just the messenger; didn't you know? Haelide, the 'monster of the tower', did this to me. As for what she did, well, she opened my eyes." Vyrina twirled a piece of her blood red hair around her index finger. "You see Link, there's more to this story of the wood sprites than you'll ever know. Everyone out there, trying to 'save' us in here, they'll never know either. Not until they come for us. Then, Haelide will change them too."

            Vyrina walked a bit closer to Link, trapping him between her and the Skultula webs behind him. His hand reflexively twitched towards the dagger at his side as she reached forward, and placed her burned hand on his cheek. It was abnormally warm. "It’s better this way, Link." She stared into his eyes. Like, there was some hidden meaning behind her words. Her voice, her demeanor, they gave nothing away. But her eyes, there was something about her eyes...

            "Do us Woods Sprites a favor, Hero. Stay out of this. Go home. You don't belong out here." She took her hand away from his face, turned, and just like that, she was gone.

            He stared at the empty corridor in front of him for a moment, trying to decipher what it all could mean, and then he heard it. A faint click, and then a loud crack! Link whirled at the sound, and he watched as the Skultula webs burned into nothing from the freshly lit torch on the wall.

            Did Vyrina..? The wisp wondered the same thing as Link did. But neither of them had an answer. All Link knew was the he was one step closer to finding out what was going on in this tower. And that someone inside it was helping him get there.

            Shaking off the thoughts he did have time to process, Link walked forward to the wooden chest that sat on the ground, singed slightly by the burst of flames that had engulfed the hallway. He kicked it open, and reached inside it for the rusty old key. He dropped it into his satchel and turned to face the wisp.

            "It's time to wake up the beast."

A/N: Painfully short, I know! But, I thought you guys deserved something to sink your teeth into after so long of a wait! See, it's more of a gift! So don't hate xD I love you guys! I'm gonna go find out who gets this dedication :) Hope to see you all again soon!! - B