Chapter 15

The next day, I try to avoid my brothers. The only time I had to see them was for dinner and that was awkward as hell. They would ignore me for the most part but Luca would always try to include me. I feel like he feels a little bad for how they have been treating me, or he could also be doing it out of pity. Since I have been here, I have made observations about their personalities and Luca is one of the more caring brothers. He sort of takes on a mother role in the family and also has some trust issues like I do. He seems to want to have a good relationship with me, but he doesn't know if it is a good idea, seeing as how most of them know that I am hiding something. Is it bad that I want to trust him? That I want to be able to have a sibling bond with him? What are you saying, Liliana? You can't trust them. 

Waking up on Monday morning, I get dressed in a black hoodie with grey leggings like usual. I also put on some concealer because I still have a couple bruises visible. After I take two pain pill, since my ribs were killing me, I go downstairs to eat breakfast. My appetite has gotten bigger, but I still don't eat a healthy portion of my meals. I decide to eat a banana and after the boys come down and eat, we leave to go to school.

When we get to school, I get out of the car before they can say anything. I go to my locker to get my books and once I open my locker, I hear some fighting going on, and I look to the left to see this guy pushing this smaller boy in the lockers. 

Don't do it Liliana. Don't do it Liliana. I walk straight to them and when the older guy tries to punch him, I grab his fist and push him into the opposite side lockers. He looked shocked that I would try to get in the way, but at the same time, he was amused. 

"What do you think you are doing?" I say. 

"Listen babygirl, you should not have gotten in my way." 

I give him a mischievous smirk and say, "Oh, really? And why is that? You were literally beating up on a defenseless person for probably no reason at all." 

"Hmm, no one really tries to get in my way. And I can do whatever I want. So why don't you leave babygirl?" He said. 

"I'll go. And may I just say that bullying is a bad thing." Noticing that the small boy left, I turn and walk to my class. I hear the guy call after me. 

"You intrigue me, babygirl. I hope I get to see you again." Without turning back to look at him, I lift my middle finger at him and continue on my way.

I get to my English class and sit down in my usual seat in the back row. Since I got to class ten minutes before it starts, I decide to write. Writing is a way for me to escape the world I am living in. In stories, I can choose what the main characters life is like, and it almost always a better life than mine. 

Getting lost in my writing, I don't notice that someone sat next to me. The person tapped me on my shoulder and I flinched at the contact. They quickly retracted their hand and I turn to look at them. It was the guy from earlier who fought the boy. Getting a good look at him, I notice that he has dark black hair and green eyes. He was attractive, and I don't usually pay attention to stuff like that. 

"What are you doing?" I ask. 

"Hey sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I am actually in this class." He said. 

"What? You weren't here last week." He just laughs at that. 

"I actually skipped school. Are you new?" 

"Umm, yeah. I started last Monday." Why is he still talking to me? I notice that most of the girls in the class are glaring at me. 

"I'm assuming you are popular." I say. Usually I don't like talking to people, but there is something about him that is mysterious and he looks like he doesn't trust easily, like me. 

"Why do you say that?" 

"Because all the girls are looking at me like I slept with their boyfriend." He just smirks at me and the teacher finally comes in. 

When the teacher turns around, he leans in close to my ear and says, "By the way, my name is Cole."