65

I was back in my room, a few hours after my failed escape attempt

I was back in my room, a few hours after my failed escape attempt. My neck throbbed with pain where Amancio had strangled me. I was still in some sort of shock. Despite everything that'd happened, I never thought Amancio would lay his hands on me. Just thinking about the affair brought hot tears to my eyes.

Another downside of my being caught was the heightened security. Brutus followed me everywhere and was no longer stationed outside my door, but in my room. Plus, he resented me for drugging him and putting his job- and life at risk. I felt extremely uncomfortable sleeping while Brutus watched. I didn't trust him one bit and being near him made me feel very unsafe.

Amancio had also ordered my hands to be handcuffed together. I felt like a glorified prisoner and I found myself quickly losing hope. My escape attempt failed, I was being guarded like a murderer and in a few days, I would be crowned Queen of Aridia.

"Can you not stare at me for 2 seconds?" I snapped, giving Brutus a look I hoped was enough to scare him off.

"Don't blame this on me, Princess. This was all your fault," He chuckled. He found it funny. He actually found my situation amusing.

I let out a breath, turning my back away from Brutus. It was still quite early into the morning and I found myself yawning countless times. But, I couldn't possibly expect to sleep with Brutus in the room? I sighed. I blamed myself. I shouldn't have rushed into the plan. There was probably no way I was ever going to escape. I really wanted to cry. I really wanted to relieve the painful knots in my chest that had formed over the past few weeks.

But I couldn't cry, seeing as Brutus was permanently stationed in my room. Privacy didn't exist anymore for me and I desperately hoped that Amancio had enough of his humanity left in him to let me have it back.

The handcuffs ate into my skin as I clambered into bed, furious. I somehow managed to pull the covers over my head, pretending I was elsewhere, pretending I was alone, pretending I was safe.

***

I woke up much later than usual, of my own accord- which was very unusual. I prepared to stretch and was constricted painfully by my handcuffs. I blinked open my eyes, the events from earlier on flashing before my eyes. Unfortunately, my neck still hurt from where Amancio had strangled me.

I looked around my room and thankfully, Brutus was nowhere to be found. I wondered where he'd went, then decided I couldn't care less.

I blew my hair out of my face, relieved that I was alone. But, I knew I wasn't going to be alone for long. The wedding was fast approaching and no matter how much I dreaded it, I knew there was nothing I could do to stop it- if I wanted to ever see Carlos again.

Just as I'd managed to clamber out of bed, there was a subtle knock on my door.

"Go away Brutus," I snapped.