ruth clutches up

Blair looked at Matty, who was silently willing her to stay, and despite her best interest, she settled into her seat.

"Sure," she said plainly. "How have you been?"

"I've been doing well, you know," he said, trying not to sound like he was bragging. "The guys are all doing good, too. They're excited to make music again, we took a small break after the last record."

"Good." They both refused to look at each other for a moment, then Matty spoke up.

"How was New York?"

"It was fantastic." She felt her blood burning in her body. That question was a slap in the face and she refused to give it any dignity with a detailed response.

"That's good," he awkwardly shifted in his chair. "I'm happy to hear that." Blair felt her lip lifting into a disgusted snarl, then softened to keep the peace. "And you've got a job, too, which is also great."

"Yep, it's good." Blair was sick of this stagnant conversation. She got up from the table. "Listen, it's almost past my lunch break, I've got to get back."

"I see," Matty dropped a tip for the latte and got up as well. "Let me walk you back to the office."

I wouldn't like that one bit, Blair thought.

"Sure, that would be nice, thank you." They walked out into the street together and faced another deafening minute of silence.

"I'm really glad that you're doing well, Blair." Matty wouldn't stop talking once he started. "I feel like you think I'm not being sincere, but I'm genuinely happy to see you thriving. You know, just because we haven't spoken in a while, doesn't mean we can't still be friends."

"Sure, okay, Matty." Blair walked approximately a step away from him - not trying to ditch him, but trying to create enough distance for herself to breathe. "Whatever you say."

They made an awkward pair. Matty was walked beside her with a shoulder lead, giving all his focus to Blair, but she was having none of it. She took large strides with her nose in the air, as she listened to Matty prattle on about her life and how 'proud' he was.

They made it to the office intact, but Blair fantasized about ripping his head off and kicking it into the street a few times. 

"Well, this is me," Blair said, her hand already reaching for the door handle. "See you later, please only send me emails with serious additions or questions."

"Will do. Sorry about that," he gave a small thumbs up. "Can I call you later?"

"Only if it's about the video," Blair quirked an eyebrow, but she also didn't want to stay with Matty any longer than necessary. She waved, "Bye."

"See you," Matty smiled as she entered the building and he watched the door close behind her.

Blair's shoes clicked on the floor below, she took quick steps up to the front desk. "Ruth, can you do me favour?"

"Sure thing," she said without looking up from her monitor.

"Lock the door until he goes away," she hooked her thumb back to point at Matty, who was still peering at her through the glass. "For a couple of minutes, but I can't be sure."

"Curly hair?" She dropped her glasses to examine him slyly. "You got it."

"Thanks, you're the best. I'll bring you a coffee tomorrow!" Blair was already moving toward the elevator to go back up to her desk.

"Make it a tea! Thanks, love!" The doors closed.

-

Ronan knocked on the door that evening a full hour early. Blair was caught off-guard, she hadn't even put her pizza in the oven.

"Hey, come on in."

"Hey, I thought we could get a head start, that way I won't be sleeping in tomorrow morning."

"Sure thing," Blair spoke as she took off the plastic from the pizza and placed it in the hot oven. "How about you get set up and then I can fix you a plate when dinner is done."

"Sounds great," Ronan started to unpack his laptop and cables. "Has Stella changed her mind and decided to join us for part two?" He had a goofy smile on his face when he asked.

"No, unfortunately, she's on the clock today." Blair leaned on the counter and peered at his busy hands. "She's babysitting a couple of rich kids for the night."

"Good, they must treat her well." Blair rolled her eyes.

"Yes and no... They pay her a lot and tip her well, but they're totally inconsiderate of her time. She told me yesterday that she wanted to have one night off, but when they called her with an emergency, she jumped at the chance to help."

"Oh, that's weird." Ronan was slowly starting to feel like he shouldn't have asked at all.

"I know," Blair chuffed. "I told her that she should say 'no, but she wanted the cash and she felt bad for their situation."

"That's so crazy," Ronan started to smell the pizza. "Shall we start?"

"Yeah, I still need to know what happens to HAL, so start around the spacewalk scene."