You're Awake

The nights had been peaceful these past few days that they had been in the South Pole. Sukara had slept soundly next to her girlfriend up until now.

As her body shuffled under the covers, flashes of Vaatu played across her dreams. The red and the black engulfing the images in Sukara's mind.

There she was, standing right in front of her self. Eyes glowing red. Fists clenched. Glaring directly at her. As she watched, there was nothing she could do. She couldn't move. The other version of herself lashing out in fire and lightening. Her heart racing, the fear coursing through her was overwhelming.

The noises of complaint and constant moving was enough to wake Kuvira. Though very groggy, she kept her eyes closed as she reached out for Sukara. Trying to shake her awake.

After a fearful shout from Sukara, Kuvira opened her eyes and tried to prop herself up. As she did so, Sukara shot up, screaming.

"Hey, hey," Kuvira said, pushing herself into a sitting position.

Sukara convulsed. Curling up as sharp pains shot through her body. Kuvira looped her arms around her girlfriend, doing whatever she could to comfort her.

"It's okay," Kuvira said softly, pushing the loose strands out of Sukara's face, "it's over. You're awake."

Sukara leaned into Kuvira's arms, the pains in her body causing it to tremble. Another sharp pain and Sukara shut her eyes tight. The red glow erupting out as she reopened them.

"Sukara," Kuvira said, grabbing Sukara's face, pulling it to look at her, "its okay. Please, just calm down."

One last burst of pain and the Avatar state faded. As the pain subsided as well, Sukara let out heavy pants as she leaned into Kuvira's chest, allowing herself to be supported as her consciousness left with the pain.

Sukara fell back down onto the bed as she passed out. Panicked, Kuvira caught her and held her close.

"Sukara," Kuvira called, trying to shake her awake again. The fear in her voice breaking through. "Wake up! Please, just wake up."

Pushing Sukara's hair out of her face, tears of fear started to pool in Kuvira's eyes.

"Help!" she called out, not wanting to leave Sukara but knowing that they needed the others, "someone please!"

As she screamed, Korra and Asami came crashing through the door followed by Senna and Tonraq.

"What happened?" Korra asked as she watched Kuvira, almost in tears as she cradled Sukara.

"I don't know," Kuvira told her, terrified by whatever was going on, "she had a nightmare and it looked like she was in pain or something, she went into the Avatar state and then this. She just passed out and I don't know why."

As she spoke Korra had made her way over to them to check on Sukara. She was still alive and her breathing was shallow but still there.

"We'll take her to Katara," Korra said, trying to do what she can to calm Kuvira down, "everything is going to be fine once we work out what's wrong. She'll be okay."

Kuvira looked apprehensive but nodded anyway.

"Give her to me," Korra told her as she scooped up Sukara from the bed, "grab a coat or something, we need to get her there now."