Chapter 11 - Learning Magic

(Y/n Pov)

The same thing happened again. Somehow, the Return by Death was set off by Subaru's death, but how could he have died? That was what was bothering me for a while now. I didn't feel any pain at all before I died, so how?

When Subaru found out that I was awake, he sprinted around the mansion to find me while I was working with Rem, who seemed annoyed by him due to him interrupting our works.

He checked if I was ok and kept asking me some weird questions like, 'do you remember what you did yesterday?' I found it weird, but I told him everything I knew before asking him how he had died.

Subaru: "I don't know."

That was what he told me. And by looking at his expression, he really didn't know. How weird... Maybe he died by a painless death, which would explain why I couldn't also feel any pain.

Currently, I was inside Subaru's room, and he was getting weirder every second. What's going on with him? Is he on drugs?

Subaru: "Calm down, calm down... One Emilia-tan, two Emilia-tans, three Emilia-tans... Am I in heaven?!"

Ram: "You're too noisy, Barusu. It's nighttime. Be quiet."

Subaru: "Eep!"

I stared at Subaru with a plain face before sighing. Looking at Ram, who looked back at me, I greeted, and she greeted me back before returning to her business.

Ram: "Barusu, N/n, come over here."

That's my nickname, N/n. When Ram and I first met, she decided to give me a nickname like Subaru, which was nice of her.

Subaru: "Wait, my heart's already set on someone named 'Emilia-tan'!"

Ram: "What are you talking about? I told you to sit here, so I can teach you to read and write."

Subaru: "That's news to me!"

Y/n: "Rem already gave me a stack of books when she came by earlier. Are we going to learn the same from the book, Ram-san?"

Ram: "Correct, N/n, I'm glad that you're studying, but I think that you should stop working and focus more on studying."

Y/n: "Huh? Why?"

Ram: "It's best for you. Don't worry, Rem, Barusu and I can handle the mansion well. We have been working before you both came here fine, and Barusu is also working here, so it would be fine if you were only to focus on your studies instead."

After thinking for a while, I looked at her with a thoughtful expression and nodded.

Y/n: "I'll think about it."

Ram nodded as me and Subaru went to sit on a counter, where Ram started teaching us how to write and read. Now that I think about it, with the memory of the future where I had already studied for five days, won't it make it easier for me to continue where I left before I've died?

Subaru: "But where's this coming from?"

Ram: "I could tell by watching you that you can't read or write. If you can't read or write, I can't send you shopping, and you can't write down orders. We'll start with this collection of children's fairy tales. Starting tonight, I'll help you study every evening."

Subaru: "Why are you being so nice to me?"

Ram: "Why else? It's so that I... No, it's so I can get off easy, and N/n won't have a useless friend."