Chapter 11

Harry woke up rather early in the morning. Judging by the golden light streaming through the windows it should be just after sunrise. He could just make out a blurry shape on a chair next to his bed, someone had taken off his glasses while he was sleeping.

Reaching out blindly to the side for his glasses he felt a hand gently close around his outstretched arm and his eyesight sharpened immediately when he felt his glasses being pushed back onto his face, allowing him to see Fleur leaning over him with a small smile on her face.

To his surprise she got up and climbed onto his bed, straddling his lap without saying a word. When she finally looked at his face again he felt his heart sink when he saw she was regarding him with a cold look. At that moment, even though he couldn't explain it, he felt terrible, as if he'd done something to her. He felt like he had betrayed her somehow and her cold glare and silence unnerved him as he waited for her to speak.

"Did you mean what you told me zat night when you said you loved me?" She asked quietly. Completely stunned by her question he gazed at her while she stared back at him, keeping their eyes locked together. After what felt like ages he finally got his voice working again.

"Yes." He said quietly. There was no change in her expression.

"Zat means you care about me? Zat you wouldn't do anything to 'urt me?"

"Yes. Fleur wh…" He was cut off by her, her voice increasing in volume.

"Zen why? Why do you 'ave such little regard for yourself when you know 'ow much you mean to me? Or do you zink my feelings are lies? Do zey matter so little to you?"

"No!"

"Why did you not tell anyone somezing was wrong? Why did you 'ide it? Do you know 'ow worried I was when you didn't come up?" Harry shook his head frantically. The entire room was getting warmer. Then the temperature dropped again suddenly and she lost all anger on her face. "I was scared." She whispered, hurt evident in her voice. At that moment he felt small, insignificant. Like he was the scum of the Earth. He welcomed the feeling.

Ever since he had first met her, he had only seen her like this on the day when she broke down and told him about what had happened to her back in Beauxbatons. He hated himself for bringing her back to this state.

"I was a fool." He murmured. He felt a slight movement but she didn't speak. "I don't have anything I can say to make it up to you. I understand if you…" He was cut off when she looked up at him sharply, the temperature spiking immediately and making him flinch.

"You can understand if I what?" She asked with a hint of a growl. He didn't speak for a few moments.

"I wasn't thinking about you or anyone else at that time. I just…gave up." He said quietly, remembering how he had felt when he had allowed the drowsiness to take over him. "I did what was easy while you were waiting for me. I don't deserve it…your feelings…nothing." The silence that followed was deafening. Barely a second had passed when a resounding slap broke the silence and he felt a stinging pain on his cheek.

He didn't dare look at her for a few minutes and kept his face turned away. Hearing a quiet sob he looked up in horror to find her eyes wet with tears forming in them.

"I will be ze judge of zat." She muttered, rubbing her eyes. He opened his mouth to speak and immediately found her hand covering it and he was silenced with a glare. "I want you to promise me somezing." He slowly nodded under her gaze.