Chapter 1

I yawned and stretched out my arms as I rose up from my slumber. Expecting the cold to bite my arms like it always did in the morning I shivered instinctively, but the tingling goosebumps never came. Instead, I was greeted with the calm chirping of birds outside my window and sunny rays shining through the glass and blinding my eyes.

"Agh!" I groaned from the obnoxious ringing in my ear that slowly faded away. "What the heck?"

The light shifted out of my face and I looked around the room. The dark purple wallpaper and lack of tasteful decor made the room feel empty and boring but the loud snoring ringing out from the bed beside mine said otherwise.

"Where am I?" I mumbled as I slid the fancy covers off myself and rose out of bed. This isn't my house, these aren't my clothes... I patted my torso and this is definitely not my body. "What's going on!?"

My body twisted in the direction of the mirror at the far end of the room. The long ornate looking glass was beautiful, but my reflection was not. A pale, almost lifeless round face dotted with acne stared back at me. My figure looked quite unhealthy and frail as if it rarely left this bed

"Huh!?" I gasped in surprise. My hands slapped my face as if to check that this was really me. "This, this is not my face!"

"Shut up..." A groggy voice groaned from across the room. "What are you doing out of bed so early you priss? Cinderella will be up with our breakfast soon anyways."

"Wait what?" I started but I was cut off by sudden realization. I'm supposed to be dead. I had died in a car accident.

"What's wrong with you? You're acting all weird. Just go back to bed or I'll call Mother." She mumbled and the snoring resumed.

Her tone seemed threatening when she said she would call Mother so I sighed and crawled back under the covers, staring up at the cracking ceiling. Despite all the lavish luxuries that surrounded me in this house, no matter how I looked at it, this place was falling into disrepair. The cracks in the walls and the broken furniture did not match the clean surfaces or the expensive items. If what the stranger next to me said was true, does that mean I'm somehow in the fairytale Cinderella? If so then I must be an evil stepsister. I'm certainly not Cinderella.

My eyes opened wider. If I'm somehow an evil stepsister in Cinderella, that might mean I'm going to die at the end. If not die then at least have something really bad happen to me. In most variations the sisters are punished by the prince. In the Grimm tale the stepsisters cut off their toes and heels to fit the shoe only to have their eye pecked out by crows. I shudder at the thought. Of course cutting off body parts is completely my choice but I can't say the same about getting blinded by Cinderella's bird friends. I also don't know what variation of Cinderella I'm in or if it's one that I've even heard of. Maybe nothing happens to me... but that's unlikely.

I bit my lip as I contemplated the options. For the best possible outcome, I should probably be nice to Cinderella and her animal friends. Maybe even have an escape plan ready just in case. If I can gather up money then there's a chance. An obnoxiously loud bell cut off my thoughts as I heard the evil stepmother... or I suppose, my mother, calling out for Cinderella.

"Cinderella! Bring out the tea! Light the fireplace downstairs as well! It is far too cold in this house for me to even think of leaving this bed!" Her voice rang out like a glass breaking, forcing me to cringe.

"Coming Step Mother!" A soft voice called from downstairs. Cinderella's light footsteps sounded up the stairs as she carried tea first to mother then to my room.

"What took you so long?" my sister hissed as she poured more sugar than tea.

"I'm so sorry Poppy." Cinderella smiled patiently while unknowingly revealing the name of my sister.

Her attention then shifted to me as she poured me a cup of tea. "Here you are, Violet." She said as she revealed my name as well.

"Oh it's all right I can do it myself." I said instinctively when she started to add too much sugar. She glanced up at me in confusion. Oops. "I mean, um... nevermind." I looked away in panic and out the window that had blinded me only moments earlier.

She seemed to get the idea that I didn't want so much sugar and gave me considerably less but still too much. I eyed the cup warily and decided not to drink it. Cinderella soon left the room and I handed the cup over to Poppy. She sipped it and stuck her tongue out in disgust.

"So bitter!" She glared in my direction. "Next time don't give me something so gross!"

"My bad." I mumbled as I mentally shotback, "next time don't accept something so gross!"

I climbed out of bed and opened the closet on my side of the room. It was bursting with so many dresses I could hardly believe it managed to stay closed. The gaudy ruffles and frills made me want to gag but I just bared with it and chose the least terrible dress I could find. The yellow silk dress seemed to have been stowed away in the back for quite some time and may never have been worn at all.

"Are you really going to wear that old dress? It's from last year!" Poppy remarked with a mocking sneer.

I didn't reply and got dressed despite her confused stare burning holes in my back.

"Are you feeling alright?" She questioned with almost a hint of concern in her voice.

"Perfectly fine." I managed to let out.

The stairs seemed to have been mopped recently which made me wonder how early Cinderella had to get up to clean the house. The dining room had been set to perfection and I sat down, trying to pretend this was normal for me.

Cinderella presented large portions of food causing me to feel nauseous at the sight.

"Here..." I slid a third of the food onto Poppy's plate. "I'm not so hungry."

"Awesome!" Poppy pumped her fist childishly.

"Mother, can you please read me a story later?" Poppy asked with terrible puppy dog eyes.

Mother just sighed and nodded her head reluctantly. For a mother of three girls, she seemed quite young. Her hair was done to perfection, not a single strand out of place. She held herself as if she were a queen moving silently, with perfect manners. Despite all this I could see in her face that she was tired.

I also took note of Poppy's clear lack of intelligence and basic table manners. I watched as she messily shoveled food into her mouth and wiped it away with her sleeve. Based on our house and clothes, we were a rich family but you wouldn't be able to tell from Poppy's manners.

After breakfast I excused myself and wandered around the large house, which I felt was similar to my bedroom. Large but empty, fancy but in disrepair. The wallpaper was scratched and falling off the walls in many of the corners. There was not enough furniture to fit the vast rooms and almost every room seemed dark, despite how bright it was outside. It felt suffocating.

I wandered into a sitting room where my new mother and sister were sitting. Mother was sitting on the old couch, reading in a monotone voice. Poppy sat on the floor, her mouth slightly open, making her look like a toddler.

Mother noticed me standing in the doorway and pursed her lips and said, "In or out, Violet, make a decision."

I silently walked in and sat next to my sister. I figured I should spend as much time as I could with my family so I could learn about them and act appropriately.

As Mother read she would stop to explain longer words and simplify what just happened. She looked at both Poppy and me. I realized that it wasn't just Poppy who wasn't very bright, Violet was dull as well.

I would have to make a decision, pretend my whole life I was significantly dumber than I actually was or just act myself and raise a lot of questions but I don't know enough to make a decision yet.

Mother put down the book and waved her hand in a dignified manner. "That's all I will read today, go find something else to do." She paused as if contemplating something. "Your allowance is sitting on your night stands as per usual."

I hurried up the stairs to the room and checked my nightstand. Sure enough, a small leather pouch of coins sat there as if waiting for me to spend it. I looked out the large window and at the wonderful scenery below. While I still had to figure out a plan to stay alive, it was a nice day for walking around.