Chapter 14

I fell into a deep but fitful sleep. I saw flashes of the same woman, beautiful face, red hair, long gowns... She screamed at me to hurry. To leave. She just kept screaming and screaming and screaming...

I sat up in bed, out of breath, only to realize that there wasn't just screaming in my dreams. Someone was screaming outside. I ran to the door to find it still locked. I pounded my fists on the door.

"Julian! Let me out of here!" I yelled for him through the door. The screaming continued.

"Leon! Alcott! Terrowin! Someone let me out of here!" My fists hurt as I banged them on the wood. No one came for me.

I looked around the room for something to help me unlock the door only to realize that I'd forgotten about the window.

"Duh." I climbed onto the bed.

The window was quite small, but I knew I could fit into it. I heaved it open and looked out. I was only one story up and conveniently for me, there was a cart of hay directly below the window. The screaming grew louder. Down the road in the courtyard I saw a large crowd gathered staring up at a woman tied up to a post. She was screaming as her legs were being lashed by a whip. I swung my legs over the ledge and jumped. The hay flew up in the air as I landed. Scrambling from the cart, I ran forward, my pulse racing.

As I got there, I realized it was a girl around my age. She wasn't screaming in pain but rather anger. There was a furiousness about her.

"Stop!" I rushed through the crowd, pushing the people aside. A large soldier raised the whip ready to strike again when I ran in front of him with my hands raised. "Stop!"

He glared at me in irritation and shock. The crowd who was quiet before now began to murmur and whisper amongst themselves as they watched.

"Get out of my way brat." He snarled and pushed me to the ground with one arm. He whipped the girl again.

"Stop! Can't you see she's just a girl?" I pushed myself up and reached for the whip.

"Just a girl, eh?" He turned to the crowd in a taunting manner. "Just a girl? This creature is a witch!" He walked forward pushing me down again.

The crowd shouted in agreement, but I could see the fear in their eyes. They knew what he was doing was cruel and wrong but they could see nothing past their fear.

"Why are you just standing there? Help her! Help me! She's going to die!" I stood up and ran at the soldier, my hands outstretched to catch the whip. The crowd stilled behind me.

The soldier turned back and caught both my wrists in one hand.

"You want to die with her then, eh? This witch summoned that sea monster from the depths of the sea! She means to terrorize this village and its people! What have you to say for that?" He spit in my face.

"What are you talking about?" I looked at the girl who's eyes had rolled into her head from the pain. The blood dripped down her legs, splattering on the stone beneath her.

"This is no mere woman! She's a dark sorceress sent by Evil himself! The king's decree must be fulfilled. All magick users are a threat to humanity and therefore must work for the kingdom, under the King or die. This witch has refused work under the Kingdom and has summoned the Ryzac from the depths of the sea to do her evil bidding. No one has been able to defeat it. Because she will no longer live, the Rysac will leave Ersa." He turned speaking to the people

"How do you know she controls the sea monster? It could be anyone!" I spit back at him. I had to do anything to save this girl.

"You're right! It could be you. Tie her up!" He called the guards outside the crowd.