Chapter 24 - Bad Parenting

Darren's parents looked just as surprised as he was as they stared each other down. Neither group knew what to say to the other. 

"Mom. Dad." He attempted a greeting, though his words came out stiff. 

Out from behind the two stepped a third person. This woman was wearing a grey V-neck shirt, with flowing waves of blond hair that was swept over one shoulder. Gone were the unicorns and rainbow scrunches, each replaced by makeup and tight fitted clothes. 

Darren blinked as his mind struggled to comprehend the fact that this Instagram model was once his innocent little sister. She smiled excitedly. "Darren!?"

It felt nice to know that at least one of them was happy to see the rogue, though his parents clearly didn't share the sentiment as his mother raised a hand to stop Marcy from hugging him. The woman then scowled as she took note of Darren's overgrown hair, looking at it as though he had dumped trash over his head. "Come along Marcy. Rogues have no place in this family." She then grabbed his sister by the wrist and dragged her into the store.

As for Darren's father, the man was just as much of a twig as ever, but his face was grim and he followed the woman inside without a word, completely ignoring his son.

Darren was left watching the three walk away as though nothing had happened. 

"Hey!" Jasper came up from behind him. "What was that?"

The rogue turned to face the Alpha who, for some reason, balked in response. "What's wrong?!"

Something wet was streaming down his face, and Darren didn't like it. He also didn't like the pain in his chest, or the fact that the entire world looked blurry now. 

Was he crying?

Why?

His breathing picked up as his thoughts were scrambled, and the next thing Darren knew, he was sprinting across the parking lot at full speed.

Darren knew there was nothing to be sad about. HE was the one who left THEM! HE was the one who ignored THEM! HE was the one who escaped from under their scrutiny. Their opinion meant NOTHING to him!

So why did it hurt so much to know that they didn't care?

A group of passerby's dodged out of his way, startled by the sight of a rogue running around unattended. One woman screamed, thinking he was coming after her, but he ran right passed and dove between two buildings where he huddled behind a dumpster.

Don't be sad. Don't be sad.

STOP CRYING DAMNIT!

Darren clutched his face angrily, trying to stop the tears and shaking his head.

He had nothing to be sad about. They were terrible parents anyways. As a matter of fact, how dare they act like they were the ones who abandoned him first? Darren was the one who took the initiative, not them!

He slammed the back of his head against the dumpster wall, causing stars to fly across his vision. 

Then he did it again.

 And again.

Darren knew that everyone within two blocks could probably hear the noise he was making as he continued to bang against the metal wall. He didn't care though. He had to stop these feelings. They didn't belong here.

Unfortunately the tears kept coming, which just made him angrier, and he shouted obscenities at the top of his lungs as he slammed his head back against the dumpster a few more times before laying still and staring at the sky.