Ch.47 A family Man

Chapter 47

"You're about three to four weeks along," Rye said, walking into the family room with Maya's test results.

Gemma squeezed Maya's hand from where she sat beside her daughter. Exton rubbed his forehead, and Xavier's eyes scanned the room.

"She's been traveling all month," Owen said with concern. "Is the baby safe?"

"The baby is fine," Rye said. She handed the file to Maya who sat it down immediately on the coffee table.

"Maya," Mavi turned to the girl. "Did you know...."

"No, of course not!" Maya rolled her eyes. She let go of her mother's hand and jumped up. "I would have never traveled if I knew I was having a baby."

"Sweetheart," Gemma tried to reach out. "No one is saying you did anything wrong. We're just all concerned."

Maya felt her heart shrink in her chest. Her mother didn't need to say the words for her to know what everyone was thinking.

2 months.

She had only two months to live. And if they didn't break the curse then not only Maya......but her unborn child will die with her. Maya slowly raised her eyes to the one person who had not spoken a single word since Clare had announced the pregnancy.

Heyder stood apart from everyone. He leaned against the window with his arms folded over his chest. His dark eyes were unreadable. Everytime Maya looked at him, he would look away. Her heart started to ache and it took everything in her to not run into his arms.

She didn't want to admit it, but she was scared to her bones. All she wanted to do was wrap her arms around her belly and stay in bed. She wanted Heyder beside her and to feel as if nothing in the words could touch her.

"I.......I need to lay down," Maya said, taking in a deep breath and pushing her hair out of her face.

From the other side of the room, Heyder looked up with concern in his eyes. For the first time in a while he moved and took a step forward.

"Go rest up," Rye nodded. "I'll have you medication sent to your room."

"I'll come with you," Gemma stood up.

"I got it," Heyder spoke up.

Everyone in the room turned to look at the jinn as he walked up to Maya and took her hand. Rye and Mavi stepped out of the way as he began to lead the girl out without uttering another word. Maya followed behind silently. She could feel her parent's eyes on her, but all she could focus on was Heyder's hand holding her's.

As the pair walked to Maya's room which had become theirs, Maya tried to think of something to say. She felt the words rise up in her chest but get stuck in her throat. They were taking up too much space in her lungs.

As they entered the room, Heyder let go of her hands and walked into her closet. Maya didn't know what to do with herself as she stood by the door. She fiddled with her finger and looked around with uncertainty.

"Here," Heyder said, holding out a set of pajamas for her. "Thought you might be more comfortable in these."

"Thanks," Maya took the fresh set of clothes and headed for the bathroom. She knew she could change in the room, but for the first time the idea of being naked with Heyder in front of her upset her.

Maya racked her brain trying to figure out why she was suddenly feeling the distance grow between them. She couldn't figure out why she wanted to suddenly be no where near Heyde yet still have him wrapped up in her arms. Lost in thought, she slowly pulled off her clothes and tossed it in the bin beside the door. As she grabbed the shorts and shirt, her eyes landed on her naked body in the mirror.