iv. chapter four.

THE NECKLACE AND NURSE VISITS.

"Why do you always assume something is troubling me, Aunt Eliza?" Calista questioned from the other side of the room, her voice carrying the length of to where her laptop sat, cracked open and the camera icon lit up green. Eliza's pixelated face contorted into an aggressive frown and the young witch huffed. "I said I was fineee." She whined and unpacked a few trophies she soon stacked atop of her empty shelves.

"Do you really expect me to believe that after I've known you for almost eighteen years. I was the first person to hold baby you in my arms, don't mistake me for someone who can't read you like an open book." Eliza grumbled at her niece.

Calista abandoned the half unpacked boxes and grabbed her laptop, placing it on her desk and sitting in front of it. She crossed her arms over her chest and leaned back in her chair. "If you can read me like an open book as you so claim, then you should be telling me how I feel."

Eliza glared at the girl sharply, her matching blue eyes hardened. "Do not mimic my tone!" The woman scolded and stared at her niece, trying to read her like an open book. Although for some reason, she was difficult to study this time around. Like there was a shield reinforced around her that blocked off people from being able to see through her, people that had been granted safe passage since day one, now cornered off. "That's strange.."

"What's strange, Aunt Eliza?" Calista asked.

Eliza shook her head and chuckled nervously. "Oh nothing, petal. I don't know what I'm saying. How are your classes going? Have you made any new friends yet?"

Calista pulled her eyebrows together in confusion but ignored the unease washing over her. She knew that every time Eliza switched the subject, it had to be something direly important. "About that. Dr. Eyebrows arranged a meeting today and I should receive my scheduled classes and be prepared to start tomorrow morning." Calista responded, praying no classes involved Hope or her boyfriend for that matter. "As for the friends part, that is a current work in progress."

Eliza ignored the absurd nickname her niece gave Alaric and smiled encouragingly. "That will be a very hasty work in progress. It is not difficult for someone to like you, Calista. You're very adoring."

"Thanks, Aunt Eli—ow!" Calista is interrupted as a twinge of pain attacked her wrist, wince falling out of her mouth. Calista glanced down at her arm and lifted the sleeve of her sweater, but confused to find her skin untouched and no trace of a wound anywhere to be seen, not even a bruise in the making.