Chapter 44

Unfortunately for Celine, she was not dead.

Instead, she was bedridden for a couple of months. Her recovery was slow, especially since the dagger had been poisoned. She frequently woke up in cold sweats and relived the paralyzing pain again. Only Zayden remained by her side, gently wiping her skin with a warm, wet cloth. He held her close and never left the bedside throughout the length of her recovery.

"Celine. . ."

The injury burned her entire body to the point where she would rather close her eyes and never open them again. She was barely conscious, and the poison was still in her system, running through her veins. Celine believed that her chances of survival would be slim, and that the healers wouldn't do much. She was surprised that she was still alive and figured that it was due to Zayden.

"Zayden. . ." Celine struggled to speak and grunted as her insides felt extremely hot.

"A long time ago, before I was Celine, I w-was a girl named Yeon-Woo." She winced in pain, and Zayden squeezed her hand in reassurance. He didn't want her to speak, yet he tilted his head by the sudden confession. "I possessed some of your features too. . . I left behind my mother and a loving husband. That's why I am a little different from everyone here. . . It's all because I remember my past life." Celine wanted to observe his reaction, yet she could barely lift her ehad. "Live well, Zayden. Thank you for being my family here." She felt her consciousness slipping away, and her eyelids were threatening to close. "D-don't save me. I'd rather die than be c-crippled. . . Just let me. . . go. . ." Tears streamed down her cheeks silently as she closed her eyes once again.

He wiped her tears away. Celine didn't see the tears running down his own cheeks, nor feel Zayden's hands trembling.

 Her words had pierced his heart.

A long time ago, Celine had once feared for Zayden and written a medical book filled with instructions for healing a wound or alleviate illnesses. Zayden was aware that her medical knowledge was better than that of a healer's, so he quickly retrieved the records from her workspace. The instructions for a poisoned wound was currently keeping Celine alive, and he kept the healers outside or else her book would bring unwanted attention.

He didn't know what to think of her confession. Celine really seemed to be an angel from another world now. Her unique perspective of the world and the wisdom in her words or actions could be explained too. The picture of Celine holding a hibiscus flower was ingrained in his memories as he wiped the sweat away from her forehead again.

"Do you not want to live, Celine? Why would you say something so cruel. . . You can't leave me here."

****

The second time Celine opened her eyes, She woke up again to find Laith gently squeezing her hand. In her dreamy state, he looked like Prince Charming. On the other side, the Second Prince still held her possessively, shooting daggers into his brother's eyes. 

She felt as if an angel and a devil was standing by her deathbed.