Isle of Dream

I got to watch the sunset as we drove down the highway. As the sun sank slowly behind the blue mountains out in the distance, its light gave a warm yellow glow to the car, and it outlined Bad and Sapnap in the front seats. They listened to faint country music, and sometimes Bad would hum along. I never got to see the highway with the sun out and cars driving out far ahead of us. Something I had always seen as unused and empty was now full of the bustling life of the city.

We passed by multiple plazas full of stores and restaurants. Occasionally Sapnap would point one out and ask about it, and Bad would tell him what they offered and what he usually bought from it. They also talked about random other things like when Sapnap was going to stream again or how his classes were going. I think I heard Skeppy's name get thrown out, but I wasn't paying attention and had no idea what the context to that could be.

The area was beginning to become familiar, and I knew we were almost at Dream's house. The unsettling sound of my heartbeat grew in my ears. I could feel the throb in my eardrums, and it only got louder the closer we got.

Knowing what to say had since left my body, and thinking about Dream's reaction only made it worse. The more I thought about how he might react, the more disoriented my mind became. A part of me wanted Bad to turn the whole car around and say it was too late to do it now and that we'd come back tomorrow.

But I knew that wasn't going to happen, nor did I really want it to.

"You ready, George?" Bad asked, causing me to lose my train of thought.

"Huh?"

He looked at me through the mirror. "Do you know what you're gonna say?"

I slowly nodded, "Yes." No, I didn't. I had no idea.

"Well we're here," Bad said as he drove the final turn into Dream's street.

He stopped the car right in front of the house and they both turned around to me.

"Well go," Sapnap said when I didn't move.

"Are you guys not coming?"

"No. This is something you and Dream need to work out, not us."

"We're going to buy dinner. Just text us when you're done," Bad said.

"Okay." I pushed open the door and stepped out. The moment I shut the door, they each gave me a thumbs up and drove off. Well there was no going back now.

I held the blue alpaca behind my back as stepped up to the porch. Before I had even reached the door, it was thrown open. The tall boy with messy dirty blond hair stepped out, his cat in his hands. When he saw me, he jumped slightly.

"George," He mumbled, scratching his cat's head. "I-I didn't expect to see you here." He gazed back down.

"How'd you know I was there?" I asked.

"I didn't. I was about to go to the park." I gazed up at the sky. The sun was still setting. "Sometimes I like to watch the sunset," He added.

He turned around and gently placed Patches down inside the house before shutting the door and looking me in the eye. His eyes were dark, almost hollow. They weren't intense to look at anymore, but they weren't warm either. It was like staring out an open door at night; you could see inside, but you couldn't quite make anything out.

"What are you doing here?" He leaned against the door and looked around. "Where are Bad and Sapnap?"

"It's—uh—It's just me."

He crossed his arms. "Fine, what do you want?"

I shifted my weight between both my feet. My heart raced like it was running a marathon. The words were there at the tip of my tongue, and yet nothing came out.