12. A Killer Among Us

KAEL

Several screams rang out as Freddy's head got blasted off his shoulders by the new Fear Games killer. I turned away, unable to look at the bloody scene before me. The metallic smell of blood instantly wafted up my nose and I gagged, trying my best to not throw up.

"Toodles," the figure said as they walked out of the room, with the automatic door closing shut behind them. When I finally gained enough courage to look again, I found Freddy's body lying on the cold, hard floor, unmoving.

One of my best friends in the entire world was gone. This should have never happened to him. The only reason he was dead was because of his association with me. And that wasn't fair.

Everyone in the room was silent. Harlin and Freddy were both gone, leaving me, Arya, Colton, German, Emerald, and Cinder. Six of us were left, and the killer claimed that one of us was helping them. That meant that someone in this room, someone I was close to, was working with a killer.

I finally got up the courage to say, "This is fucking crazy."

"You think?" Cinder said, her voice almost emotionless from fear. "Do you really believe that one of us could be helping this new killer?"

"It can't be," Colton said. He shifted uncomfortably and his frown never faltered. "There's no way any of us would help a killer. None of us wanted the Fear Games to return. We formed this group so we could process what happened to our town, not make a comeback."

"Let's face it," Emerald said through her gritted teeth as she continued to hold on to her ankle. "We don't know each other as well as we think we do."

"How can you say that?" Cinder said. "You're my best friend in the whole world!"

Emerald let out a chuckle. "Oh yeah? Then why did you feel the need to put your dirty little paws on my mind and steal him away from me?"

Cinder's mouth dropped open and then she said, "You're really going to hold that against me while our lives are on the line? I didn't steal your man. He chose me."

"Guys, seriously," I said, "this is not the time to be talking about this."

"I think this is the perfect time to talk about this," Emerald said. She glared at Cinder, and I could practically feel the lasers shooting out of her eyes. "You were supposed to be my best friend. Best friends don't steal each other's guys. That's not how friendship is supposed to work."

Colton decided to chime in with, "Emerald, please. Don't attack Cinder like that. She didn't do anything. It was my decision."

"Your decision after she jumped on you like you were the last drop of water on this Earth," Emerald said, her voice rising. "Admit it. You both suck. I wouldn't be surprised if the killer's helper is one of you."

"My sister would never do this!" I shouted. There was no way that Cinder could be involved with this new killer. I refused to believe it. She was the best sister anyone could ever ask for. She loved me, protected me, and kept me safe.

"Then maybe it's Colton," Emerald said with a huge grin on her face. She was probably going crazy because of all the blood she was losing from her ankle.

"Oh, isn't that rich," Colton said. "Don't you all see what she's doing? She's redirecting the attention off of her. She's probably the real killer's helper."

This whole thing was just insane. There was no way in hell that Emerald could be the helper. I'd known her my entire life. And it obviously wasn't my sister. She'd never do this. Ever. So that left Colton, German, and Arya.