Chapter 47: Reunion

Stuffing my old clothes into my bag, I pull on the new dress I had just purchased from a small corner shop with the money I had stolen from Dante.

I had made sure to get far away from the apartment complex, and took as many twists and turns through the dark alleyways in hopes to shake my mystery pursuer, hell bent on killing me for some reason.

The sun finally began to wake up when I decided that I had made it far enough to have lost my follower, and been a fair distance away that when Matteo discovers I've gone, he won't immediately be able to find me again.

Once I purchased the dress as the shops began to open, I made my way to an empty public restroom and cleaned myself up of the blood that had made its way all over my skin. It was tedious and time consuming, but at least now it doesn't look like I killed anyone anymore.

I look down at my nails which still have dried blood caked beneath them.

I won't be able to rid myself of the thoughts of Dante for a while now. Is he alive? Did he survive the night?

My fingers dance along the handle of the gun I had taken from him. I should have left it. I would never even use it anyway.

Sighing, I lift up the tank lid to the toilet, and place the gun inside, then closing the lid.

I'm not going to need it.

The more I try to convince myself of that, the more I feel myself growing nervous. I may think I'm free now, but I'm still trapped. Matteo won't stop until he finds me, and whoever is trying to kill me, I doubt will stop either.

And the most ironic thing about this, is that I can make it go all away. If I was just able to reach my father... If I knew his damn contact number, I could call him, and I'd be safe! I wouldn't need to worry about anything ever again.

But instead I'm stuck in Japan, alone, and more terrified that I can care to admit.

Zipping up my bag, I vacate the bathroom.

My new mission; to find a cab and get to the airport.

***

Handing the cab driver the money, I slide out of the car and stare ahead at the bustling airport.

With nothing but the bag on my back, I enter and head towards one of the booking desks. In the cab ride I had counted up the money I had, and thankfully I had more than enough to afford a tick back to New York.

Within a few minutes, I finally reach the front of the line, and sigh in relief when I am greeted by the lady in English. "Hello, how may I help you today?" She asks in a cheerful voice.

"One ticket for the next flight to New York."

After I purchase the ticket, I make my way through customs and find the closest café where I order a hot chocolate and banana bread.

So far my mission is running somewhat smoothly.

To my dismay, there isn't a flight directly to New York and I have to stop over in Tokyo for an hour before boarding the next flight, but at least I managed to get a ticket at all considering the late booking. And fate was certainly on my side as the flight leaves in just under two hours, leaving me enough time to relax and collect my thoughts.

I thank the server as they place down my drink and banana bread and soon find my eyes drifting over to the direction of the TV that plays just outside of the cafes vicinity.

A small gathering has formed below it, and despite not being able to understand what the news reporter is saying, I can gather the general idea from the pictures being shown.